• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J1939 diagnostic code reader. Anyone using it?

MAdams

I know the MTVR has the LCD diagnostic screen but wondered if anyone has used a diagnostic computer to test ctis, etc. J1939 is new to me and don't know all whats needed

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know mtvr, does it have a cat? CatET is required for much of cat access

rolling18

you can buy a "Nexiq" interface that plugs in from your laptop to the J9139
from there you need the CatET software.. you can buy "greay" market versions on ebay or other places for a couple hunnys.
I "THINK" the real curent version is subscription based and $$$ per yr.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I can pull engine codes on lmtvs with my OTC 3418 hand reader. It wont let me change any settings though. Just basic codes and some reset capabilities.

Nomadic

Whatever J1939 hardware you buy, make sure it is quality. You don't want some chinese knockoff to short out your system. They draw power from the data bus. Drew Tech is a great brand. They test in-house, but they are expensive.

As for software, research OBD2 PID's and what CAT, Allison and the other MTVR components allow to be read on the bus. There are proprietary PID's that manufactures don't want people to read, but can be reverse engineered. Typically, we buy software and then buy a "package" for it that supports our vehicle. These packages (when lagit) are licensed and capable of decoding proprietary PID's.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I use a diesel laptop now I still have some bootleg oem software on my laptop but I haven't used it in a while the diesel lap top like others is big money so you usually only see a professional with one. with cat et, Allison doc and cat com link you can look at the engine and trans through the 1939 with the right abs package you can also look at the brakes anything else like cab controlers will be proprietary and you will likely not be able to find software for it.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can buy a "Nexiq" interface that plugs in from your laptop to the J9139
from there you need the CatET software.. you can buy "greay" market versions on ebay or other places for a couple hunnys.
I "THINK" the real curent version is subscription based and $$$ per yr.
Rolling18 is correct.

I had a mobile Cat Mechanic stop by to help me with my truck and one of the things he did was tap into the ECM and read codes, get the engine serial number, etc. He used the Nexiq interface that is in the "Glove Box" in the cab. He had his laptop with the Cat software and he hooked into it easily. I asked him if there was anyway to plug in a regular code reader and he said no, it has to be the Cat type reader. Meaning Nexiq.

I have a feeling that it is really just the connector that is different. If I had a wiring diagram for the Cat connector, I think I could come up with an adapter that would allow the use of a regular code reader on these trucks.

MAdams

Yea I now have the nexiq and cat et. I also just got the allison ad software and the abs system(meritor wabco). You can get boot legged copies pretty cheap.

The cat software is pretty cool. I'll be getting the 475hp tune pretty soon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I now have the nexiq and cat et. I also just got the allison ad software and the abs system(meritor wabco). You can get boot legged copies pretty cheap.

The cat software is pretty cool. I'll be getting the 475hp tune pretty soon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would be interested in where you got yours and how much.

MAdams

I bought a clone of the nexiq 2 on ebay for $190 but its a chinese knockoff. The software is $75 each for the cat et, allison and webco. You paypal the guy and he remotely accessed your laptop and loads everything.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked eBay and the description of some of them say the software only works on Win XP. Did you get a version that is newer than that?

snowtrac nome

you can only do re rating of hp with licensed software or you need a password generator for the do it your self guy you can get a prolink off e-bay and the Allison cat and cat with acert and wabco cartrages that will allow you to read codes and do some testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks