• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jacking up Deuce front end (from the frame)

Just about to do my caster adjustment that is needed for the G177 swap but I've hit a bit of a road block.

I need to jack the truck up high enough to allow the axle housing to hang so I can remove my spring perches. Problem is I can't seem to find an affordable pair of jack stands big enough to both support the weight of the truck and reach the frame without a stupid amount of cribbing. I don't want to support it from the bottom of the leaf springs because I feel like it has the potential to shift, plus I won't be leaving myself much room to work if I do it that way. I like to stay on the safe side so I wonder if anyone else has had to do this and discovered a safe 'thinking out of the box' method for jacking up and holding the front end. I know there is a lot of weight on the front end (even more with the winch) so I really don't want to get squashed.

I can't justify buying huge stands right now since this is probably one of the only jobs I would ever use them for. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
-GM

Last edited by a moderator:

Seth_O

I pulled my spring perches by placing a bottle jack under the spring itself right next to the axle, and then compressing the spring. I left the opposite side of the axle attached and did one side at a time. It worked like a champ and I never felt like I was in any danger.

sandcobra164

I pulled my spring perches by placing a bottle jack under the spring itself right next to the axle, and then compressing the spring. I left the opposite side of the axle attached and did one side at a time. It worked like a champ and I never felt like I was in any danger.
I did mine the same way when grinding my caster plates. Worked fine for me as well!

The other issue I have though, I need to bring my perches to the Bridgeport at my work to get them milled. This means leaving at least one side at a time jacked up for a day in my driveway. Would it hurt anything to leave a 2x4 between the spring and housing in place of the perch?

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

when I had to leave my truck with the axle hanging years ago (before fork truck etc) we made a Bumper stand with vertical 4x4 wooden posts and cross members. I still have that homemade ( cheap and easy) truck raiser, only used it 3 times so far.

Last edited:

Seth_O

The only issue I foresee is that the spring has a locator pin in it, so you'd want to drill a hole in the middle of the 2x4 to have room for the pin. Other than that, I would think you'd be fine.

Dmetalmiki's idea is a good one too, assuming you have a way to stabilize the truck while up in the air. That's what always makes me nervous about lifting something heavy up too high.

dmetalmiki

Our mockup support IS stable. (as it (the truck)) is "supported" by (the) 8 wheels firmly planted (and chocked) at the rear.. On reflection, with the vertical component of 4, 4x4s plus the cross supports it would hold a complete truck on top weight wise.

Seth_O

Our mockup support IS stable. (as it (the truck)) is "supported" by (the) 8 wheels firmly planted (and chocked) at the rear.. On reflection, with the vertical component of 4, 4x4s plus the cross supports it would hold a complete truck on top weight wise.
Thats a good point, I always think about things in reference to my (bobbed) truck, it would probably be quite a bit more stable with the two duallies on the back. My truck would likely be tipsy, but with only one singled axle out the back, it doesnt have anywhere near the footprint a full size deuce does.

rustystud

What I did is I jacked-up the axle with my 20ton hydraulic jack under the differential pumpkin. Then using some good 8X8 lumber under the rear of the spring shackle I put my 6 ton jack-stands on the wood. This way the jack-stand was on the frame just behind the rear shackle. After letting down the jack the wheels never touched the ground. I had this up there for over 3 weeks while I played with the front end.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great information, I'm going to do this with my bobbed deuce. It used to wonder alot. I'm running the 395/85/R20. Had a worn steering box, so I put a power steering kit on it. This help, 80% better. So turning the shim 180 should fix it.
Years ago I built a Chevy truck, put a 6 inch suspension lift in it, 17X40 ground hawgs on it. The first trip down the road scared the crap out of me. The lift kit came with wedges that go between the springs and the spring perch, this takes angle out of the front drive shaft. This truck was like driving a hay wagon. I took the wedges out and turned them 180. The truck drove like a Cadillac.

Great information, I'm going to do this with my bobbed deuce. It used to wonder alot. I'm running the 395/85/R20. Had a worn steering box, so I put a power steering kit on it. This help, 80% better. So turning the shim 180 should fix it.
Years ago I built a Chevy truck, put a 6 inch suspension lift in it, 17X40 ground hawgs on it. The first trip down the road scared the crap out of me. The lift kit came with wedges that go between the springs and the spring perch, this takes angle out of the front drive shaft. This truck was like driving a hay wagon. I took the wedges out and turned them 180. The truck drove like a Cadillac.
I heard in the Caster Adjustment thread that flipping the perches 180 degrees may not be the best way to go. Might want to check it out, they get into the angles and geometry of the front end.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...caster-angle-solved-problems-with-G-177-tires

Worked great! Thanks buddy

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks