• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jan. '10 ed. of Diesel Power Magazine

Metallitera

Picked it up at local bookstore going outta business.

Anyhow, theres an article about a guy who threw an '04 duramax and allison in his HMMWV. put in a different t-case as well, LoL runs a 12.8 @ 101MPH! re wired the whole thing to 12VDC and put in half shafts from an ambulance. Threw H2 wheels on there(YUCKY!) but its basically what I wanna end up with (NOT 600HP) and i wanna use a cummins but same idea, keeping the interior pretty basic.

there might be pics on their website, pretty dang cool looking.

on a side note, they also have an interesting article on the new Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle. Has a 27.4L V-12 pumping out 2,800HP!!

Ryanhooker

Check out Predator Motor Sports. They have done a few. from Cummins to Duramax. The most commen I see on the net is the 4bt. Theres a video on you tube, H1 truck vs Ford f350 power stroke.

Metallitera

will a straight 6 fit in a hmmwv? Hence the reason GM and Ford uses V8 diesel engines.
ford used V8 because of power, not size. the V8 configuration offered better power across the RPM range.

powerstrokes are a bit too tall for HMMWVs because of the turbo being on top of the engine. 2" or more of body lift are required.

yes the 4BT is a common upgrade, basically the cummins outta a dodge with 2 less cylingers. same trannys and front accessories.

link didnt work, only saw one pic cause im not a member.

Metallitera

wow thats tight. how in the world can you get the valve cover off?!?!

im wondering if 4BT would be better bet for ease of fit & working on AFTER its in the truck. hmmmm ill have to look up power specs. whole reason to re-power is for.......POWER!!

scooter01922

The 4 Bt can certainly give you some umph. With the right mods a few hundred Hp is not an issue, and its reliable Hp too not like a 6.2 with a turbo, ready to blow....:twisted:

Metallitera

thats what i was looking at. seems to be simular to the 6.2 & 6.5 in power when its stock. a turbo, pump and injectors can get around 300 ish HP i think. certainly gonna look into it more! the thing is 10" shorter that a 6BT!!! thats a HUGE difference! but just as tall obviously so body lift prolly still required?

i found a 4bt swaps forum but there was hardly any info about puttin em in hummers. the guy who has the vid of him pullin against an F250 4X4 and winning was on there but hadnt posted in over a year.

i wanna talk to some 4BT hummer owners & see how they add up. my dream project would be a daily driver 4 door hard top and id wanna put a gooseneck hitch in & pull with it also so im really curious if the 4BT would handle it.................

mattgw86

PPE put a built Dmax/Ally in a HMMWV. They now have it listed for sale on their website, no price listed though. I think it runs mid-high 12's too.

Metallitera

But i dont want duramax & allison. too amny computers and too much $$$$$$

i could get a 4BT and a 6speed tranny & t-case for cheap and no computers. could wire easily with a pre terminated fuse block from painless wiring.

just need to find a cheap HMMWV with a cleanbody, 4 door hard top.

oh yeah, and the $$$$$$$$$$

cousin

I would check into some fedex trucks that have been scrapped. we bought a chassis, just stripped body, drove it to our shop, 6bt/allison for $1500

humslr

Check out my truck on youtube. It's got an 07 dmax and a 6 speed allison tranny. It ought to match the PPE truck in the quarter. ****, it's got PPE stuff on it. Just finished with it, it's in "shakedown" right now. More videos soon.
Blair~
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF46hzb169I[/media]

saddamsnightmare

January 10th, 2010.

Its always an education around here..... I could never imagine anyone dragging an H-1, but I saw it here first! Must be something to have enough money to do that to a vehicle and then go out and basically abuse it doing things it was not designed for. Its a free country, and you HMMWV guys will likely never catch up to the guy who had an M43 ambulance and jet engine in it back in the 1980's..... another bizarre conversion.

Good luck, stay safe, and stay the heck outta Paris with that contracption, the PD might take offense if you outrun their hemi Dodges.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D:p

humslr

Well, I'm planning on it being a test bed for several companies, just to show what could be. More of an "interceptor" truck. Grote military lighting, Davis Technologies active suspension, the list goes on. It will probably make the rounds at the various Govt Supplier conventions. If anyone has any ideas or owns supplier companies with ideas, let me know. I'm open.
Blair

jwaller

Well, I'm planning on it being a test bed for several companies, just to show what could be. More of an "interceptor" truck. Grote military lighting, Davis Technologies active suspension, the list goes on. It will probably make the rounds at the various Govt Supplier conventions. If anyone has any ideas or owns supplier companies with ideas, let me know. I'm open.
Blair
I'm guessing from your burnout that you are no longer using the hmmwv transfer case?

humslr

January 10th, 2010.

Its always an education around here..... I could never imagine anyone dragging an H-1, but I saw it here first! Must be something to have enough money to do that to a vehicle and then go out and basically abuse it doing things it was not designed for. Its a free country, and you HMMWV guys will likely never catch up to the guy who had an M43 ambulance and jet engine in it back in the 1980's..... another bizarre conversion.

Good luck, stay safe, and stay the heck outta Paris with that contracption, the PD might take offense if you outrun their hemi Dodges.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D:p
Actually, what I'm doing is more in line with the HMMWV design than loading up a 12,000 gvw truck to 15,000 with armor (like they're doing now). The stresses are much less with a 5800lb vehicle and quite a bit of hp. (think rat patrol) All the halfshafts/geared hubs are 12,100 up armored stuff, should be reliable. Not to mention 22mpg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks