• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepers and 5 Tons

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have noticed a very distinct trend.

My 5 ton is a little tricked out. Custom front bumper with 18k winch. A bumper I fashioned after a Jeep aftermarket bumper I really liked. Air ride seats, Hard top, new paint job, 16.00's. It looks sharp.

I drive my 5 ton around town a lot. Obviously, it gets a lot of looks, lots of thumbs up and waves ... even a salute or two. Pull up to a red light and you can see the stares from most people around you. Here is what I have noticed.

* Guys, or girls in big trucks, F-250's, 2500's any 3/4 ton, lots of looks, waves, honks, thumbs up. Almost guaranteed. The most enthusiastic crowd for the 5-ton. Makes sense.
* 1/2 tons, about half the reaction as the big truck boys.
* Cars, not as many, but still some looks.
* Jeeps ... almost all of them refuse to even look. I noticed this a few years ago, and have kept track since then. Not one single look from the Jeepers in the past two years ... not one. A complete refusal to acknowledge the beast beside them.

Is it a jealousy thing? An "I'm better than you because I spent $80k tricking out my light little Jeep" or "Yeah, but my Jeep can go where you can't" or "You spent less than $10k on yours. My suspension costs that alone!"?

Seriously, I do not understand it. What gives Jeepers?

For any Jeep owners ... no offense intended.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don’t recognize you because these “jeepers” should be driving a minivan instead. Here on the east coast they run out and lift them up. Then install the Hi Lift jack, the full size spare, the snorkel and the Harbor Freight winch on their truck. Yet they probably couldn’t use any of that equipment if they were in a jam. I’m sure I’m leaving off a few of the accessories. But they are all pavement queens.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don’t recognize you because these “jeepers” should be driving a minivan instead. Here on the east coast they run out and lift them up. Then install the Hi Lift jack, the full size spare, the snorkel and the Harbor Freight winch on their truck. Yet they probably couldn’t use any of that equipment if they were in a jam. I’m sure I’m leaving off a few of the accessories. But they are all pavement queens.
Sounds about right.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought if you are going to spend $80k on a vehicle, why not get a newer model Defender for the same money? You would certainly stand out from the crowd.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always felt I could make millions by going to a place that makes plastic molds. Have them make a plastic Hi Lift jack. Then I could sell it to the Jeep guys. The jack wouldn’t work, but nobody would care. It would be light weight and half the cost of a real one. It’s a win win situation for the modern day keep crowd.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But if anyone found out, they would be bannister from their Jeeper fraternity! I could think of nothing worse!

There was a Jeeper meeting here in town, where everyone drove their Jeep to a local restaurant. They all parked in a vacant lot adjacent from the restaurant in a long line. I wanted soooo badly to park my 5 ton next to them, then hide and watch their reaction when they came out.

Just kidding. I wanted to drive over the entire line of Jeeps laughing all the way!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the record, I like a good functional Jeep. Tricked out for off-road, rock climbing or trail riding. These guys do have nice rigs. 95% of them never see dirt though.

Hey, it’s their Jeep their choice. I’m just curious about their attitude toward the 5 tons. Why the attitude?

It’s worth mentioning that this observation is well over 2 years of time with many Jeeps!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey hey, I used to go jeeping all the time. Started with an CJ2A then xj found in a junkyard blown transfer case. Built an xocage out of scrap ran it till I got a TJ 4 banger. Built up my own axles and repaired everything that has broken. Moved to a Scrapped Tj with an inline six Dana 44 front and rear long arm suspension I kinda hobbled together. An it's been on it's top quite a few times. Not all of us jeepers are just for show. Now I have moved on to an xm381. But I don't think I will be rock climbing that anytime soon. I have had my m54 fire truck on some 500 foot rim rock down by the Pecos before though. Little bit of a pucker factor.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey hey, I used to go jeeping all the time. Started with an CJ2A then xj found in a junkyard blown transfer case. Built an xocage out of scrap ran it till I got a TJ 4 banger. Built up my own axles and repaired everything that has broken. Moved to a Scrapped Tj with an inline six Dana 44 front and rear long arm suspension I kinda hobbled together. An it's been on it's top quite a few times. Not all of us jeepers are just for show. Now I have moved on to an xm381. But I don't think I will be rock climbing that anytime soon. I have had my m54 fire truck on some 500 foot rim rock down by the Pecos before though. Little bit of a pucker factor.

Yeah Slate, but you are the opposite of the $80k Jeep crowd!

I’d imagine a guy in Jeeps like you described would be honking and giving thumbs up to a 5 ton!

You ever find a 1082 for your Jeep? I have one for sale.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Slate, but you are the opposite of the $80k Jeep crowd!

I’d imagine a guy in Jeeps like you described would be honking and giving thumbs up to a 5 ton!

You ever find a 1082 for your Jeep? I have one for sale.
Well yes I and my family would probably try to stop the 5 ton to ask for a noisy ride. No haven't found a trailer yet. Do those dump, I forget. I missed one in hooks a while back but would have needed someone to pick it up for me. Pm me and tell what you're willing to let it go for.

Ajax MD

@Buffalobwana Pffft... stop cryin'. Here near DC, I am universally loathed.

Nothing but asphalt cowboys here, shiny, jacked up trucks and jeeps that never touch the dirt. None of them give me any love.

Not to mention all the Green folks in their Teslas and hybrids. They'd hang me from the highest yardarm if they could catch me.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The jeepers see you roll up behind them at the light and in their rear view your front bumper is staring them in the face as your 5 ton oozes with brute strength. Then they realize your winch cable is bigger around than their rear axle shaft. They add flexy suspension and remote reservoir shocks to articulate over rocks and around trees when your 5 ton would simply plow them over and keep going.

I haven't paid much attention to the jeepers but I imagine your 5 ton burst their bubble about being the most capable rig on the road...

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron used to say that jeeps (actually, CUCVs) are only good for wheel clogs for his 5+ ton.

Whatever, its human emotions all the way. They drive something big but you drive something gigantic, so they drool all over it. They have to get bigger jeeps because more and more women are driving SVUs, and can't have a woman having a bigger car, can we? Actually, most of th women use them not for off-road but because they believe (mistakenly) that they are safer in an accident than regular cars while driving the kids to school. Even if faulty, at least an argument I can have sympathy for.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like AjaxMD I live near Wash DC and see plenty of trust fund babies and misplaced wannabe's in their blinged-out 4-door Jeeps and other assorted near-Jeep vehicles looking very smug. Few wave, though it seems like the amount of appreciation for my crusty M998 increases during Summer months when I run half doors and without the soft top on. Then Jeepers, with their doors off, give me waves and hang-loose signs, but not so much during the cooler months. I usually say to myself quietly "Yours might be prettier but I can go places that will make your Jeep crap an axle sonny" and keep driving.

And I get home and put a little more money in my XM381 jar...

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks