• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry Can Mount

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have a hard plastic tray they sit on and usually right next to the inside bed sides with a strap. The tray has a pipe to drain them in case of overflow going through the floor pan and a rubber hose connects to them from underneath.

I have not mounted mine yet but there are pictures in the parts tm 24P, I think in the 2nd part.

Wire Fox

Or if you go all-out with it in a 2-door setup, you can remove the rear seat bases and put the cans in the rear footwells. This is the standard configuration for the howitzer prime mover configuration, which allows you to carry 2 water cans on one side and 2 fuel cans on the other. I meant to check the fitment, but you should be able to just slip one in each side without any modification.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I want to add two cans. I am sticking with a 2 man and was thinking of mounting them on the seat back for the rear passenger side. It will be a while before I can ad a airlift bumper and put them back there.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake , There are those made for H1's they swing out with the spare tire. They hold up to 4 cans. That is my plan eventually.

ryanruck

Right now I've got 4 jerry can holders mounted to the passenger rear fender.

It works pretty well. They only overhang into the bed slightly. I've got them reinforced with a couple graduated layers of large fender washers but they still shake a bit more than I'd prefer. I'm going to be adding some heftier reinforcement at some point.

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

I've got a swing away jerry can carrier I want to install on the driver's side of the bumper but, it's going to take a bit of work as it isn't meant to work with the Rhino tire carrier, just the AMG factory one that is more offset towards the passenger side.

IMG_4606.jpg

ryanruck

Do they shake enough that you think they might crack the fender?
Not quite that much but I definitely want some beefier support.

I've got a heavy duty radio tray that came with the truck that was mounted up there. I've got a mind to make it a little larger to allow the jerry can holders to be mounted on to that and then just reinstall it.

The graduated washers seem to be doing a sufficient job of distributing the load for now though.

The was how I got the truck originally. As you can see, there was a single jerry can mount on the driver's side. It was secured with nothing but fender washers, IIRC.

IMG_0674.jpg

jake-cutter

Jake , There are those made for H1's they swing out with the spare tire. They hold up to 4 cans. That is my plan eventually.
Those don't fit the airlift bumper with the Rhino Tire carrier. I was hoping for one that would fit on the driver's side or the airlift bumper, even if it held only 1 can I would be fine. I have a M1025 so with the slantback I don't want it inside and want to find a place outside.

ryanruck

Those don't fit the airlift bumper with the Rhino Tire carrier. I was hoping for one that would fit on the driver's side or the airlift bumper, even if it held only 1 can I would be fine. I have a M1025 so with the slantback I don't want it inside and want to find a place outside.
I do think the one like I've got will work with the Rhino mounted where it is but, mounting the carrier is going to put it at the extreme edge of the bumper possibly to the point only 3 of the 4 holes can be used (I might add another between the top and bottom ones on the left hand side of the pivot plate though). I'm thinking I'm also going to need to slide the can holder itself left a bit on the mount but, I'm afraid that doing so might start to block the tail light. We'll see... I'll mount it to the bumper first then worry about sliding the holder left if there isn't enough clearance.

This might be something I can tackle over the Winter as I can work on the truck with the back half still under my shelter. I'm just really not looking forward to the work of drilling 3-4 holes in my bumper and have been putting it off. :mrgreen:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only bumper mount can carriers that will work with the amg far right offset tire carrier or I think the original "winch" type carrier that is also offset to the right.

The rhino center tire carrier does not leave enough room. I tried.....

Amtak posted some pictures of his set up where he shortened the mounts and offset them. Even with this set up when I measured to see if I would do it with mine, The taillight visibility is drastically cut back from side angle viewing.

I managed to pick up 2 sets of the 2 can carriers that mount to the airlift bumper but they are designed right and left to be used without a tire mount. oNe set will eventually make it to the classifieds.

Attachments

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

I don't have a Hummer, yet, but it looks to me as if it would be better to have those rear fender mounted ones on the drivers side, as that is a blind spot for the driver anyway, putting them on the passenger side creates a huge visual barrier IMO.

ryanruck

I don't have a Hummer, yet, but it looks to me as if it would be better to have those rear fender mounted ones on the drivers side, as that is a blind spot for the driver anyway, putting them on the passenger side creates a huge visual barrier IMO.
You are right for most people. And I actually saw another build with 4 cans mounted on the driver's side.

For me though:

1) For 13 years I've driven cargo vans with nothing but front windows so I'm pretty adept at driving with just my mirrors for visibility.
2) That spot gets blocked anyway with the soft top cargo cover on in the cold months.
3) I'm eventually installing some GMV style bed rails which will also cut visibility there.
4) I thought it might be a good idea to have the fuel cans on the same side as the filler tube so it could be easily siphoned from can to tank if there were some reason I couldn't dismount the cans.

alphaseventwo

I guess it would really depend on the circumstances- how much water you think you'll need- for whatever you're doing with the vehicle. However, anytime I'm thinking of mounting any kind of set-up to the hmmwv, I find myself watching this video and freezing it wherever I need to look. I wish there was a much more thorough video of this truck. Around the 1:04 mark you can clearly see the jerry cans mounted in cargo area, alongside drivers rear fender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UDbbubF2YI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks