• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

jumping out of fifth gear

jasonjc

Well it started the other day, I've been driving the deuce every day since the trans in my pickup went south Going down the road just fine shifting smooth running great(they love to be driven). Then out of no where it jumps out of fifth gear. Ok put it back in gear, it went in fine but jumped back out. Drove the rest of the way home in fouth, it was only a mile or so.

Got home and open it up. And here is what I found.
The bushing that fifth gear rides on has a lip that hold the gear in place. Well it had one, it is now gone. Bruned/ground off. Ok I have a good one in a parts transy. Pulled the shaft out of the transmission only to fine that 3rd gear has bruned it's self on the shaft. Great now I need the shaft too. The one in the parts tranny is messed up in another place and is also fubar. So what a great week. Here are the pic's.

PS anyone got a 4l60E for a 95 K1500 cheap or a out put shaft for a deuce tranny close to NW Arkansas:cry:

Attachments

1stDeuce

I have a shaft that I took out of my truck when it started popping out of 5th. Turns out the shaft was new, and it just needed 5th gear and the 4-5 synchro. It needs to go, PM me.

By any chance, was the trans way low on fluid?? Just wondering how you weld 2nd or 3rd gear to the shaft like that...
C

jasonjc

The trans was full of good gear oil+Lucas. Chould this damage of happen long ago??
When I got the truck almost 5 years ago. The eng+trans were not hooked up, they were sitting lose in the frame. Like they were getting ready to pull them out to replace?? All 3 fuel filters had 2-3" of hard packed drite in them. I bolted them back in, replaced the filters and oil. And have been driving it since.
I also had to go thought the breaks.

Attachments

jasonjc

I think I put it in when I frist got it.?.
Why would you think the Lucas?? Have you heard some thing bad about it???

Last edited:

jasonjc

Holy cow I'm a slacker. This thing has been sitting on my work bench for 6 years now:oops:. Well the good news is I'm getting it back together finally. The poor truck has been sitting in the front yard giving me dirty looks for long enough. I started to put it back together this weekend only to see that I needed 2 new thrust washers, great. Well put the PTO all back together and it works. Called Memphis equipment and got the thrust washers on the way so I hope to get it back in the truck this weekend or next. Then I'll have 4 running trucks. I hope to have 7 up and drivable by the end of the year, 8 if I'm really lucky.

jasonjc

DSCN0250[1].jpgDSCN0249[1].jpgDSCN0248[1].jpgDSCN0247[1].jpgDSCN0246[1].jpgHere are some pic's for you all. The PTO back together and the thrust washers with the metal chips imbed in them. And the transmission case with nothing in it, yet!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It would be neat to see a step by step as you put the trans together. I have never done one and I need to take all my good parts from 3 diff trans to make one good one!

jasonjc

It would be neat to see a step by step as you put the trans together. I have never done one and I need to take all my good parts from 3 diff trans to make one good one!
I'll take pic's as it goes back together. There is a TM for the deuce transmission and transfer. I don't have the number with me but I'll add it here later. It's on PDF so it may be here on the site. It has good step by step for rebuilding , but only has line drawing can be a little had to tell what's what.

jasonjc

DSCN0255[1].jpgDSCN0254[1].jpgDSCN0253[1].jpgDSCN0252[1].jpgDSCN0251[1].jpgWell I got the thrust washers yester day. Got the reverse shaft back in. Went to put the bearing in for the counter shaft in , but found out that it had been spinning in the housing , great now I got to get a new bearing. I hope the hole in the case is not worn too bad. hear are some pic's.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a bunch of bottles of red for next to nothing cause they were way past their exp date. Still work fine though. I'd use red cause thats what I got on the shelf! If you had to buy some, I'd ask.

DavidWymore

Subscribing, I need to work on my transes, too.

You can "peen" around the outside edge or face of the bore too, just be careful not to chip off chunks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks