• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got an M1009 with no batteries. Looking for photos of the cable hookups.

Loco_Hosa

Just bought an M1009 (I think?) for $450. If it was an M1009 someone has taken the 8 lug axles for a different project, it now has 6 lug axles.

I would like to verify that it is a 24v starter and alternator then see if it starts with new batteries this weekend. My only concern is making sure I have 12v going to the right places and 24v going to the other right places.

Thank you so much for helping. Photos of the battery cables should really be all I need.

(Photos will come this weekend)

cucvrus

Just bought an M1009 (I think?) for $450. If it was an M1009 someone has taken the 8 lug axles for a different project, it now has 6 lug axles.

All M1009 K 5 Blazers have the 6 lug Corporate 10 bolt axles from factory.

cucvrus

DSCF6623.jpgDSCF6622.jpgThis is a picture of the under hood batteries on Terminus M1009 under the hood. Rear positive is hooked to the positive buss bar. Negative from rear battery is hooked to positive of front battery and the negative on the front battery goes to chassis ground frame and radiator support. I can post more pictures if you need them. Or i an sure someone else will chime in. Good luck. Make sure you have a 24 volts starter and the starter support is in place and tight. It should have 2 - 12 volt alternators.

Loco_Hosa

Oh boy, mine is different. The batteries are behind the headlights. Is that indicative of a 12 volt truck, or is that just wrong?

The big tell will be if it has two alternators.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before hooking anything up make sure you post some pictures of the engine compartment, alternators and batteries. We should be able to help you out.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy, mine is different. The batteries are behind the headlights. Is that indicative of a 12 volt truck, or is that just wrong?

The big tell will be if it has two alternators.
The front battery is behind the headlights on the passenger side then the rear battery is next to the firewall underneath the buss bar.

cucvrus

I am leaning towards you having a civilian K-5 Blazer or a Jimmy 6.2 diesel. Look at the VIN. And the drivers door jab. It should have an aluminum nomenclature tag on the door frame of the drivers door. It will say U.S. Property and have all the specifications on it.

Loco_Hosa

I love this forum, super helpful info. Thank you everyone. If it is a civilian truck then I won't be disappointed.

There were never civilian 24v trucks were there? (I assume not)

It has the switches for blackout lights, and they were told by "a diesel mechanic" that it was a 24 volt truck. The fact that there is no battery tray towards the back of the engine bay is confusing, the batteries sit on either side of the radiator.

It also has 6 lug axles and chrome bumpers.

Loco_Hosa

These are the photos from the ad, I won't be off till dark tonight but I'll try and get more detailed photos showing the alternator(s) and the engine.

Excuse the imgur host, I'll edit when I'm back to my PC to embed the photos.

http://imgur.com/a/uviX8

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a M1009 that has been civilianized.

Do not trust any of the wiring until you verify it. No telling what has been done to it.

With detailed pictures we should be able to help out or at least get it running.

It isnt uncommon to move the rear battery to drivers side. That is how the civvy diesels are. They use two 12v to crank the engine.

Loco_Hosa

So, I've verified two alternators and the battery cables definitely indicate a 24 volt system, the stock front battery is "upstream" from the ground, the drivers side battery is to be attached to the 2nd alternators bracket for ground.

The truck last ran and drove two months ago, (according to the seller, who I kind of mostly believe) my next step is to hook up the new batteries, new belts, and it "should" start?

Another imagur album, this time full of cell phone+flashlight photos... sorry guys. http://imgur.com/a/EbtPL

Last edited:

cucvrus

You can ignore the emissions sticker on the core support. That is not pertaining tro that M1009. They do not have catalytic converters. I would say the entire core support has been changed. Also I would get a breather oil cap on the engine. I know that one fits but it could be detrimental to the life of the rear main seal. I know all of them had breather oil caps. Other then that it looks complete. Good Luck. What are you plans for the vehicle? Keep it white or repaint in original colors? Keep us posted. I have one that someone bought from me and used hard for 20 years it is still running and used / played hard. That is my Terminus M1009.

TGP (IL)

Wow!
Would love to know the history of that truck.
Heavily modified.
I would definitely make sure of the voltage before I hook anything up!

Looks to me if that is a push button switch below the BO Switches
It's probably for manual glow plug control.
Need to verify.

Is that a serpentine belt crank pulley?
I think I see V pulley but not sure what else I'm seeing.
Tom

dougco1

View attachment 620053View attachment 620054This is a picture of the under hood batteries on Terminus M1009 under the hood. Rear positive is hooked to the positive buss bar. Negative from rear battery is hooked to positive of front battery and the negative on the front battery goes to chassis ground frame and radiator support. I can post more pictures if you need them. Or i an sure someone else will chime in. Good luck. Make sure you have a 24 volts starter and the starter support is in place and tight. It should have 2 - 12 volt alternators.
Rick, don't forget to zip tie your turbo. Its looking little loose.

PJL

Wow what a mess. Starting to look like a 12 volt conversion not fully completed. Would explain the disconnected pass side alternator. You will need to peek at the starter and try and find a part number to look up to see if it's 12 or 24 volts.

The glow plug relay is the small can on the firewall to the right (as seated in truck looking forward) of the brake booster. Should be 6 wires on it. Large red wire from power. 2 large orange wires to the glow plugs. Might be a small orange wire connected to one of the bigger studs. Goes to GP controller for voltage sense. The smaller studs will be pink/black which is 12 volts. The other is lt blue which grounds through the controller to turn on the glowplugs.

If the big red wire goes to the buss bars on the firewall by the heater then that would provide 24 volts to the glow plugs. Which is too much as they are 12 volt. Now that is only IF the truck is still wired as 24 volt. If they had 12 volts going to the buss your GP circuit would be okay.

In the normal stock setup the front battery negative goes to chassis ground and the negative buss bar. The positive goes to the negative on the rear battery. There is a wire coming off this which goes to the 12 volt junction block. That is also near the brake booster. That provides all the 12 volt power for the truck. All comes from the front battery and I believe the drivers side alternator charges it. The rear battery positive goes to the positive buss bar. From there it would normally go to the starter, glow plug resistor pack and feeds a set of bus bars in the back of the truck to feed the military radios.

Hope this helps.

BTW where in Tacoma are you? General area. Don't need your address here.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also wondering about the wiring.

The wire on the MAIN terminal bar should not be there unless they attempted a 12v conversion. It looks like it goes to the 12v terminal block
wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg

Please confirm where it goes.

Again verify your wiring before hooking up the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks