• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up. 1986 M1028A2

my69camaro

Picked this bad boy up Friday morning. Drove all night Thursday from Indiana to Pennsylvania to get her. Local fire departments brush truck. Had a big work bed on the back, they just snipped all the wires so that kinda stinks. Otherwise it's a pretty nice, solid seeming truck. Supposedly 10,200 original miles but who really knows with mil stuff. Can't decide if I should paint the bed red or go back to camo.

Tag says it's a m1028a2 but it has a 208 t case. All I've read said it should be a 205??

Attachments

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a M1031 with the modification that's what the tag says. added the 2 wheels (dually) makes it a M1028 now

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Saberr

Nice, don't see many of the bigger cucv boys. Bumber they cut the wiring, easy fix though. I personally like the thought of going red for fire truck, alot camo out there. Then you can also say you own a fire truck and not be lying either.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I've got the very same truck except for it's just a cab and chassis had the maintenance Box on it which was removed it is camo though

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

my69camaro

Well I tried to get myself tail lights today. There were four colors being used on the old bed setup and a four color plug on the blue bed. Matching colors; a yellow, a green, a dark green, and a black or maybe dark gray. Butt spliced them together (all switches off, including mil toggles) and hooked up a ground wire to the frame that was coming off the bed... No tail lights, and now I have no front lights (they had worked before).... Looks like the 30amp fuse is blown in the fuse box. Hopefully grab a fuse tomorrow morning. But what else am I missing.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an M1028A2 converted from an M1031, yes, it should have had an NP205 transfer case because it was used to run the compressor and generator in the original maintenance box.

But unless you want to run those off a PTO, or are super concerned about originality, you should do fine with the 208.
The M1028A3s were all converted from trucks with that transfer case.

You likely already know this, but there were no factory US military dually CUCVs, all were converted from single rear wheel trucks while in service. GM made a complete conversion kit, supplied in a big crate.

My M1028A2 started it's life as an M1031 too.

Cheers

7.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks