• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our MTVR camper:

MTVR

We took delivery of our truck today.

We let everyone that wanted to, drive it around the parking lot.

A lot of random strangers driving by, stopped to take pictures and ask questions about it.

I have a buddy that served as a Marine and has a fair amount of experience with the MTVR, and after driving it and crawling all over it, he described our truck as "brand new". He said it was obviously issued to someone who just never used it.

The biggest surpise was that the CTIS, which was described as "all lights flashing", and was the only material defect listed in the inspection report, seems to work just fine.

I only drove it about a half mile, but it seems to run, drive, ride, brake, shift, and steer just fine. The A/C even seems to work, but I gotta stick a thermometer in it to know for sure.

I was pleased with how easy the MTVR is to drive. It's like a really big auto-trans pickup.

I've got a few minor issues to address, but I think things are working out really well so far...

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very exciting! Best of luck on everything.

It is unreal that it took only 1 month. I was waiting 4 months for my EUC.

MTVR

Removed the mount for the jerry can on the platform- We'll never use it, and it simply represented a tripping hazard up there.20200420_092634.jpg20200420_093316.jpg

MTVR

DOT-approved emergency triangles ordered, 5-pound ABC extinguisher in the truck. And I already have the original wheel chocks.

JCoop

I was also a lucky one that purchased one of these first trucks a year ago. I have been busy and now it is going to become part of our local fire dept. so a few changes were in order. Now I’m looking for the member that has been able to come up with a operators/service manual . I would like all vehicle operators on our department to go through this manual before being cleared to operate it.
Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

MTVR

I was also a lucky one that purchased one of these first trucks a year ago. I have been busy and now it is going to become part of our local fire dept. so a few changes were in order. Now I’m looking for the member that has been able to come up with a operators/service manual . I would like all vehicle operators on our department to go through this manual before being cleared to operate it.
Thanks
Jeff
The TM for the operator's manual course is posted in the TM section. It's a little over 200 pages…

MTVR

Does the 623 bulb cross over to anything else? The small running lamp bulbs in the composite lamps- my left front running light (in the bumper) is out...

Last edited:

MTVR

Just a plain old incandescent bulb to get the last light up and running would be fine for now.

Converting to LED lighting is way down on my list of things to do...

MTVR

So it looks like the 623 bulb crosses to the 303 (which is what I found in another lamp), the 303X, 304, and the 1251.

Hopefully I'll be able to round one up tomorrow morning at the local auto parts store...

MTVR

The 1/2" rubber plugs showed up today, and I got 54 of the 55 1/2" holes in the floor plugged. The last hole is under the driver's seat, so maybe after the seat air valve shows up, I'll use it to raise the seat enough to plug that last hole.

Next up is the horse stall mat recommended by Wes, to trim and lay down as a floor covering...

MTVR

My $7.50 10-pack of 623 bulbs showed up today.

Replaced a lone burned-out 623 in the left front running light in the bumper, so now every single exterior light on the truck works.

Went around and checked the other three housings, and replaced two random 303 bulbs with the correct 623 bulbs, leaving us with 7 spare 623 bulbs.

Sometimes it's the little things...

Last edited:

MTVR

Removed the tailgate, all four bed side panels, 8 ISO locks, 8 heavy-duty tie-downs inside the bed, 14 heavy-duty tie-downs outside the bed, and the two amber reflectors on the sides of the front corners of the bed.

Picked up an 11-amp 7" angle-grinder and some cut-off discs.

We plan to cut the front panel off the bed tomorrow, if the weather holds.

This will leave us a flat platform to build our home on...

Last edited:

mtvr77

I purchased one of these trucks last November finally received it in February still waiting on the title from uncle sam lol. Mine has 18k miles but everything seems to work, the two left side brakes need adjusting. Also I took out al the circuit breakers because I noticed they had corrosion inside them. A normal automotive fuse fits in the fuse block on the right side of the dash I've found out. Anyone have any turn signal issues? I have yet to get min to work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks