• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our MTVR camper:

MTVR

$440 Torklift scissor-folding removable aluminum steps arrived. Six 8"x20" steps.

Just need to fab a simple drop bracket to attach the mount to.20200701_204229.jpg

MTVR

Now that the good weather is here, we're finally getting into our build.

We are building the floor first, upside down, so that we could install the bottom plywood on and epoxy it before flipping it right side up.

Every single wood-to-wood junction is screwed together with Loctite PL Premium Fast Grab urethane construction adhesive, and the entire structure is going to be coated inside and out with West System marine-grade epoxy before painting.20200703_210009.jpg20200706_135713.jpgResized_20200708_161410.jpeg20200708_150855.jpg20200708_153302.jpg

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I used the West System to make and seal a hot tub. Amazingly strong. The Gougeon Brothers (they make the West System) are good people : )

MTVR

I used the West System to make and seal a hot tub. Amazingly strong. The Gougeon Brothers (they make the West System) are good people : )
I've read most of their book (about 400 pages) as well as countless tutorials, spec sheets, videos, MSDS pages, and so on...

Navy dude

Man, that is looking awesome! Can't wait for further updates. I was just pleased that I got the registration paperwork submitted today, will get a box on the back of mine someday.....

MTVR

Looks like I may not be able to flip the floor over until this weekend, so I may build the framing for the ceiling tomorrow (using the floor as a template), and then set it aside until we need it. Then I can build the framing for the left and right walls...

MTVR

Ceiling framing glued and screwed, using the floor as a template/jig. We'll move it out of the way when we flip the floor over (hopefully tomorrow).20200710_103449.jpg

Last edited:

MTVR

Floor flipped right side up. Now we can install kitchen and bathroom drain plumbing and insulation, and then glue and screw the top plywood on.20200711_131406.jpg

MTVR

Spent most of our day running errands, but after dinner my wife and I fabbed up a drop-down for the mounting bracket for our $440 Torklift aluminum scissor-folding stairs.

We're planning to buy another mounting bracket (and maybe even a third one) to mount under the cab door(s).20200713_204914.jpg20200713_183101.jpg20200713_193704.jpg

Navy dude

Looking incredible! Also I noticed that platform on driver side is a little flimsy when stepped on and looks like you will stiffen it up with the frame you added to the outside edges. Nice.

Also, will the scissor stairs fold up and secure in that position if desired? You are doing some great work there....

Last edited:

MTVR

Looking incredible! Also I noticed that platform on driver side is a little flimsy when stepped on and looks like you will stiffen it up with the frame you added to the outside edges. Nice.

Also, will the scissor stairs fold up and secure in that position if desired? You are doing some great work there....
If you look underneath the platform on the driver's side, you will see that the leading edge is not supported as well as the trailing edge. We did add some stiffness to the trailing edge, but we have not done anything about the leading edge yet.

The scissor stairs are on quick release pins and will be stowed inside when we are not actively camping.

MTVR

Today we worked on adding some additional support to the floor framing, to support our Japanese Ofuro soaking tub. We also cut the holes in the floor joists to allow the kitchen and bathroom drains to pass through, cut the holes in the bottom of the front floor overhang for those two drains to pass through, and epoxied the inside of those holes to inhibit water intrusion after we install the drain plumbing and seal the holes. The pics aren't really too interesting- it just looks like a maze for mice to run through.

Tomorrow I'd like to add similar reinforcements for our safe, and maybe install the drain plumbing and/or cut and install some of the floor insulation...

Kbarnes0

3.5" thick rigid polyiso foam boards, with that "Great Stuff" foamed into any crevices.
I'd recommend getting the pro gun. Depot has them with the cans that thread on. Allows to keep the product good even if you don't use the entire contents.

Better control depending on what you need for the void.

Use door and window foam for small voids. Less exspansion/ pressure on critical framing/ components.

The Gun cleaner isn't really necessary if you swap the can when it's empty and run a Lil of the new can into it.

MTVR

I'd recommend getting the pro gun. Depot has them with the cans that thread on. Allows to keep the product good even if you don't use the entire contents.

Better control depending on what you need for the void.

Use door and window foam for small voids. Less exspansion/ pressure on critical framing/ components.

The Gun cleaner isn't really necessary if you swap the can when it's empty and run a Lil of the new can into it.
Thanks.

They have a new consumer version that you can re-use without the pro gun.

I haven't used the stuff yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

MTVR

Had to take a few days off.

Today we finished the bracing in the floor for our Japanese Ofuro soaking tub and our 600-pound custom-made gun safe, and insalled the drain plumbing for the bathroom and kitchen.

Hopefully we're gonna be able to get started on the floor insulation after the sun gets low enough to give us some shade around dinner time...20200719_113037.jpg20200719_113100.jpg20200719_113422.jpg20200719_113513.jpg

Last edited:

MTVR

Installed most of the floor insulation this morning. Had to stop when the sun got overhead, as the reflection off the foil was blinding us. We may try to get the rest in tonight after the sun gets low...20200720_103511.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks