• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our MTVR camper:

DirtyDirk

What are you thinking your box is going to weight? And how are you building fastening sides?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MTVR

What are you thinking your box is going to weight? And how are you building fastening sides?

By my calculations, the wood will weigh around 3,000 pounds.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "building fastening sides"...

MTVR

It's just about 100 degrees out right now- I'm not sure how much work we're gonna be able to do between the onset of shade (around 1900 hours) and losing our ambient illumination (sunset-ish).

I did pick up a belt sander today- I suspect we're gonna be using it a LOT...

DirtyDirk

Sorry that should have been a & or a comma or somethin. In other words are used during screws and glue? I know on the FRP panels a lot of box Builders use rivets into metal Extrusions

MTVR

Sorry that should have been a & or a comma or somethin. In other words are used during screws and glue? I know on the FRP panels a lot of box Builders use rivets into metal Extrusions

Sorry, I still don't understand your question. The entire structure will be screwed and glued together with a fantastically strong urethane constructiom adhesive.

MTVR

Thanks. We're learning as we go. This morning we learned that the circular saw is the best tool for cutting the rigid polyiso insulation.

MTVR

Floor insulation completed. Tomorrow we plan to foam all the crevices to make it airtight.Resized_20200720_202313.jpeg

Last edited:

MTVR

We got the spray foam in before the sun came over the trees. The floor is now completely airtight, R-24 insulated, and monstrously strong. We just have to trim the rest of it after it dries.20200721_114100.jpg

My wife is stoked- her goal for today is to get the subfloor glued and screwed on by 2100 hours tonight. We're not gonna be able to start on it until about 1900 hours, when the sun gets lower and the shadows come back.

MTVR

...and the floor is finally in.

20200722_143321.jpgJust gotta make some precision cuts around the outside to make sure everything is all square. We may do that tonight after the sun gets low enough to give us some shade...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful Truck, these trucks have an extremely serious look about them, I like it a lot! One thing that I have used a number of times in moving trucks, generally bigger trucks is USHIP.com in case you cant find what your looking for in our member ranks! I have had very good luck with them and never had a problem. The only issue you may have is the timeline from the time you get your EUC to the time somebody can pick up the truck?

MTVR

Started on something else today, before the heat drove me back inside:

I had been planning for one 20-pound propane tank, but then I thought that two might be more convenient- that way, when the first tank goes empty, we switch to the second tank, instead of switching to cold showers and cold food. I crawled all over the truck with a tape measure, looking for another place for propane, a place that would hold two tanks. I found that the empty area under the passenger-side steps is just about the right size.

The bottom two steps are identical, but the bottom step uses the horizontal flange to mount, and the middle step uses the vertical flange to mount. So I pulled the middle step, cut the unused horzontal flange off, shot it with some olive green, and now I have enough room for two propane tanks.

I also noticed that the second step is not mounted flush with the bottom step on the passenger side, so I re-drilled the holes to move it outboard, so that it is symmetrical with the driver's side. It's nice to be able to get your feet more under you when standing on the second step now, instead of feeling like it's just a toe hold as you hang off the handle on the side of the cab.

I was going to paint the propane tanks olive green, but I found out that that's illegal. So I'm also going to make a sight shield to go behind the steps, to block the propane tanks from casual view- Once I trim it to it's final size, I'll epoxy it to make it waterproof, and then paint it olive green.

It's not a big deal, but I'm thankful to have found a place to stash them, and to have regained some room on our "front porch".
20200727_093339.jpg20200727_112110.jpg20200727_102710.jpg20200727_102718.jpg20200727_104824.jpg20200727_100613.jpg20200727_114017.jpg

Last edited:

MTVR

We now have completed the framing for the ceiling, left and right walls, and the rear drawbridge. We are keeping them stacked on the bed of the truck when we're not working on them. We plan to frame the front wall today, and then cover the whole stack with tarps for some rain that is expected tomorrow morning. If it's dry on Friday, we hope to raise the walls and ceiling... ;)20200803_113553.jpg20200803_142749.jpg20200804_124409.jpg20200803_113717.jpg20200804_200322.jpg

MTVR

We built a 4x8 beam into the rear of the floor and another one into the base of the drawbridge, so that we can sink a row of giant bolts into each of them, to mount a full-width piano hinge (yet to be sourced). The 4x4s are the basis of the mounting points for the winches. The winches themselves will be on plate steel mounting brackets bolted into the 4x4s.

MTVR

Apparently it's not legal to paint propane tanks in subdued colors, so we're going to have a sight shield for them. I'll epoxy this to make it waterproof, and then either paint it flat black or paint it to match the truck:20200807_065804.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks