• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our MTVR camper:

MTVR

Thanks, Mark, but we're not mounting our box to the frame of our MTVR (like you did with your Freightliner). We are mounting our box to the flatbed of our MTVR.

The flatbed of MTVRs come with a torsion-free mounting system consisting of 16 long bolts on coil springs and rubber-like bushings.

So the flatbed and our box stay rigid, but the MTVR frame is free to flex as much as it wants to.

JD4044M

Did not know the flatbed had a spring system already then bolting the RV to the flat bed rigid is the way to go. Your doing a great job on how your building it. Glue and Screws id the way to go. I will be building a Camper Shell like wooden structure for my M1078 and make it light enough to lift off when needed with my Loader on my tractor. Winter snow makes the bed not so usable off and on. I just want it as high as the Cab and no bottom. I will do like you did on the build part.

MTVR

Today we worked on the drawbridge.

We mocked up the two 3,500 pound drawbridge winches and their 1/4" plate steel mounting brackets, took some measurements, and designed and built the winch cable attachment points at the drawbridge.

Then we sheathed the inside with 3/4" plywood.

Everything was glued and screwed with urethane construction adhesive.

We also ordered our 8 foot long paino hinge for the drawbridge. It's made out of 1/4" plate steel, and has a 5/8" diameter full-length steel pin.

Last edited:

MTVR

Ordered $6,000 of lithium batteries (600Ah) for our house bank today.

Got them on sale, with a coupon, from a place that doesn't charge extra for shipping. Total cost $4,200.

MTVR

Our CAT generator was supposed to show up day before yesterday...then yesterday...then today...the tracking shows it's in town, but it's not here yet...

JD4044M

Just a thought you could double wrap the spool on one and put a pulley on the other side and eliminate the problem of one going faster then the other lifting the draw bridge.

MTVR

Thank you. We considered a lot of options.

This gives us better anchoring for the winches, keeps the crossover cable out of our bedroom, and allows us to remove one winch/cable for service if need be.

MTVR

Got four more box-to-bed bolt holes drilled. We now have 16 of the 28 bolts installed and snugged (there is a high wind warning for tonight).

Gonna take a break now- taking the wife downtown to see the JP Sears show tonight...

MTVR

Moving on to Natian's dog-friendly tap room at 13th and East Burnside for a lovely 9.2% (or so) milk stout aged on Irish water soaked oak chips.20200907_180016.jpg20200907_180025.jpgResized_20200907_175555(1).jpeg

MTVR

...and finishing our night up with a really interesting smoked Argentinian red and a few wee drams of 25 year old Laphroaig single malt Islay Scotch whisky...20200907_203645.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks