• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed Igintion-are they really that expensive?

Reworked LMTV

I have seen a number of keyed ignition switches advertised by various military sellers. The ones that I have seen seem maybe a bit more expensive than the typical ignition switch. Is this some sort of special switch that handles 24 volts and high amps?

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably depends on how you want to wire the switch. In most cases the power goes through a relay so you are not switching much amperage. I used a standard ignition switch from ebay which cost less than $15 delivered on my LMTV. The ones the military sellers have generally have the military style wiring connectors which is partly the reason for the higher cost. For an LMTV you probably will not need the special connectors.

coachgeo

Someone in here mentioned a generic CAT heavy-duty keyed switch was not that expensive compared to the advertised military ones. Not sure how to suggest you search it since you can't search by CAT. I'll see if I can find it. Home from work today ill. Feel like crap but still bored.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck no, it does not cost that much. Someone is making serious green gross profit! Any parts store sells several flavors of universal ignition switch. Pick your poison and budget.

coachgeo

Go to your local auto parts store, $10, switch with four keys, drill a hole, move wires from push button start to keyed switch.

If you really want peace of mind that no one will steal your truck, take out a driveshaft. :)
In your method they can still turn on power switch and though not steal truck without key or hotwiring that switch..... but in process they have now probably drained your batteries. You need a way to bypass power switch AND the push start button.

sjohn116

You are correct.

A motivated thief will steal my truck no matter how many barriers I put up. I have a heavy chain, keyed ignition in series with the push-button start (either take apart the dash or d!ck around with which key position is correct) and currently, the driveshaft is on the floor next to the truck. The first two will stop 99% of casual jokesters. The third will stop anyone not familiar with "MODE" button. The last and most important deterrent... we live in the middle of nowhere, everyone around us is retired, they have nothing better to do than watch the world go by, and you have traverse a really long driveway to see a ridiculously HUGE military truck behind the house. Any reasonable person who walks down the driveway and then sees the truck will believe that the owner/residents are absolutely crazy and likely armed...think John Malkovich's character in RED or RED 2. haha.

But you are absolutely correct...they can drain my battery. An inconvenience for sure, but reversible.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go buy a switch, $25-50

Go buy the correct wire, $10

Go buy Douglass connectors $30

Go buy the correct tool to crimp them $100

Spend time $20-50

Take more time to mail them $10

Pay shipping, $15

Deal with people that don't have a clue how to install the pre-made switch assembly $10

$275

How much they asking for these expensive plug and play switches?

coachgeo

Also mentioned in other threads by some members was the desire for both power and start button to be on a key switch cause several expressed that they take their truck to shows and they enjoy watching the faces of curious kids crawl around in them. That's another reason for needing both keyed or somehow locked away from curious fingers

sjohn116

Also mentioned in other threads by some members was the desire for both power and start button to be on a key switch cause several expressed that they take their truck to shows and they enjoy watching the faces of curious kids crawl around in them. That's another reason for needing both keyed or somehow locked away from curious fingers
Yes, absolutely. One day I'll go that route, when I near the bottom of my ever-growing list of things to do to keep the truck on the road and safe. I'll eat my words this May when I make my first trip to Aberdeen meet and someone clicks the power switch ON.

kc5mzd

I just got a key switch from e-bay it was 6.00. In the past I was able to find a cheep 12v RFID setup that when wired would not let it start without the proper chip. Wiring the horn across the RFID relay made it so when someone tries to start it without the RFID chip it honks the horn (when there is air) instead of cranks the engine.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a momentary switch with 2 spade connectors. Nothing special no Packard connectors. Pretty much any momentary switch you can get mounted will work.

Reworked LMTV

Go buy a switch, $25-50

Go buy the correct wire, $10

Go buy Douglass connectors $30

Go buy the correct tool to crimp them $100

Spend time $20-50

Take more time to mail them $10

Pay shipping, $15

Deal with people that don't have a clue how to install the pre-made switch assembly $10

$275

How much they asking for these expensive plug and play switches?
While I realize there are unseen costs ( I have a Business Degree), your analogy misrepresents fix and variable costs, and COGS. You spread the costs of the correct tool across the ALL of units you sell. Wire at $10? Go buy a switch at $ 25-50 (you drive and buy each one?). Seriously, would you not have them shipped in or drop shipped to the customer? Switches at $25-50???? Not from what these members have said here. Douglas connectors? I don't recall that these are needed.

Last edited:

kc5mzd

Here are some pics of one for about $6.00 with free shipping on EBay.
On this one the center terminal labeled "ST" goes to the wire that does not have power when you turn the main power switch on. The wire that has power when you turn the main power switch on goes to the terminal labeled "BAT".
This is not the perfect type of switch because it has extra positions but will work well. I am not sure if it will fit in the hole where the original push button is but it should be close.

Attachments

coachgeo

Not sure why one would.. Will/Suprman's idea of a keyed power button seems like it works fine. OEM start push button won't work with power turned off.

But if you want to have one keyed switch without unused key positions won't a 3way switch work for both a power cut off AND a momentary, ignition switch thus replacing power button AND push start ignition button? Verify with seller, look at wiring schematic in TM's etc. Is a solenoid be needed for the momentary ignition side? Suprman?

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/44177/Cole-Hersee-95524-A-Ignition-Switch-/

and This one also a three-way universal but key looks less flimsy

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
This will work fine and under 12 dollars. Spade terminals are the same and should plug right in. Mount hole will have to be made slightly larger.
keyswitch.jpg

scottmandu

Honestly I don't think theft is a problem with the LMTV, unless your thief knows how to operate one. It would take some fumbling to figure out what switches to operate and then he will have to wait a couple minutes for air pressure to build up. This is als assuming they know where the battery disconnect is if you have an A1.

But if the thief is determined enough to steal your truck there isn't much you can do to stop him. The whole thing about theft deterrents is to make your car a little bit more difficult to steal than the one you parked next to.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks