• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Killing the Sprague

bratpackdad

I have a sprague in my1973 M35A2. I do not drive off road and don't need the front wheel drive. Has anyone removed the Sprague unit? Is there a way to "free wheel" the front axle without damaging the truck?

Thanks in advance.

armytruck63

You could by locking hubs for around $650 or get another set of front hubs and have the splines machined out. I think WillWagner had a set of machined out hubs for sale.

You could also remove the front drive shaft, but I don't know enough about the sprague setup to recommend this. My truck has air shift.

Where in California are you?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the front axle doesn't know the difference between a sprag or an airshift case. So dropping the shaft would free things up a bit, but the sprag case would view a non moving front output (which would happen with the shaft removed) as rear slippage and would in turn send power to the front output (spin it). I couldn't tell you if this would hurt the case, but I imagine it wouldn't be good for it for extended periods of time.

now paginng gringeltaube (unlike me, someone who knows what they are talking about)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a sprag truck, you'd have to drop the front driveshaft, and install lockout hubs, or desplined caps. If you just install the caps/lockouts, the sprag will still spin the front axle.

I don't think it would hurt the truck to drive without the front shaft. The sprage would engage, but all it would be spinning is the front flange. No load, just one bearing and seal spinning, which spins anyways with the driveshaft in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No hubs, they are gone. Now I understand your PM aua. Take the front driveshaft out and remove the spring loaded engagement link on the t-case. That should stop the front from trying to engage.

bratpackdad

No hubs, they are gone. Now I understand your PM aua. Take the front driveshaft out and remove the spring loaded engagement link on the t-case. That should stop the front from trying to engage.
Where do I find the spring loaded engagement link on the transfer case? I promise this is REALLY the last question LOL

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to do any more than removing the driveshaft.

That will disengage the front wheel drive or 6x6. But if you do not want the extra drag of the front axle being spun by the tires, you will have to install the desplined caps/lockouts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks