• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kraz 255

vtunimog

RE: Re: RE: Kraz 255

The Kraz is a sweet ride for sure. I think they are bit slow if I recall. 75 kmh top road speed ? My Ural has arrived so now I need to peddle that along and get a Kraz. Any takers ! <grin>

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

While this truck is diesel as the poster states, the Russians used mostly gas-powered trucks for some reason. I am not sure why.

vtunimog

A few weeks ago I got a peek at a Kraz255B up close. What a Monster !! The tires must be close to 48" high at least. It has the usual Soviet Era truck features CTIS, monster diesel etc. This truck was imported into Canada for a collector there from Slovakia. It was nearly perfect. The port folks would not let me take any pictures (strange) but I did help them get it started - they couldn't find the battery switch by the side of the drivers seat ! It even had a ticket that said "Batterie" Anyways gorgeous truck. I just love the Safari style windows.

If you want to see one in action try Youtube and search for Kraz 255b.

The Kraz is built in Kremenchug Ukraine so technically not Russian but Ukrainian - sort of a piddling point to everyone but the Ukrainians !

As for Gas Vs. Diesel - I think it may have something to do with the fact that Russia/USSR has vast oil reserves and gasoline seemed easier to use in the super frigid expanses for Northern Russia. I was reading a US foreign material review of the cold weather use of the Ural 375 and the fact that the truck will operate down to -60F is pretty impressive. I noticed my truck has a pretty strange little gasoline heater for the engine, we had one morning at about 20F so I fired it up and ran for 10 minutes. The truck definately fired off nicely after running the aux. heater.

As for the Kraz. I am working on another one in the Ukraine but shipping is just a nightmare. If and when I do get it I will post pictures for all to see. I have heard rumors that you can tune the trucks so they will run at 85kmh rather than their rated 75 kmh. No idea if it will work or not.

Cheers,

Chris M

Elwenil

I've always liked the Kraz trucks. To me they look like a huge version of some of the military Dodge trucks. I wonder if they took design cues from the Dodges that were sold to the Russians during WWII for their rocket artillery?

vtunimog

They look alot like the Dodge trucks from WWII. they are just huge though, I think at 8 feet (actually 8 feet 2 inches) they might be considered a wide load here in the US, at least in some states. It has kept me from finding one. The Yamaz 238 motor is pretty bullet proof but it is an older design. I have heard rumors that you can give them a bit of boost and tune them up for an extra 25-50 hp. No idea what that does to service life.

After poking around my Ural for the past few weeks I am quite impressed at the level of sophistication of the Soviet trucks. I expected a very crude truck, in terms of creature comforts I would say it is on par with a Duece, but in terms of mechanical sophistication I would put it on part with any Western military workhorse of the late 60's and 70's. My only complain so far is that apparently the Soviets were not that good at brake linings and clutch linings. They look like 100 year old cork. Thankfully that can be fixed.

ajg6989

driven the Kraz at the 4ID musuem at Ft Hood. It is a wonderful truck has lots and lots of air tanks underneath. It can air up all its tires in a few seconds.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Kraz 255

ajg6989 said:
......It can air up all its tires in a few seconds.
I know this is getting old, but nobody seems to come up with and answer, be it American or foreign CTIS, how long does it really take?
I can calculate the time based on compressor capacity and size of tires and we are talking minutes, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes to cycle from say 60 psi to 10 and back up to 60. How much do the extra air tanks help and how big are they?
Thanks for posting images of non-American vehicles!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

vtunimog said:
As for Gas Vs. Diesel - I think it may have something to do with the fact that Russia/USSR has vast oil reserves and gasoline seemed easier to use in the super frigid expanses for Northern Russia. I was reading a US foreign material review of the cold weather use of the Ural 375 and the fact that the truck will operate down to -60F is pretty impressive. I noticed my truck has a pretty strange little gasoline heater for the engine, we had one morning at about 20F so I fired it up and ran for 10 minutes. The truck
Chris M
I tend to agree with that, diesel is pretty hard to ignite when cold. The multifuel engine has a high compression ratio to help and will start on cold diesel without aid down to 10°F or so....

tatra813

cranetruck said:
ajg6989 said:
......It can air up all its tires in a few seconds.
I know this is getting old, but nobody seems to come up with and answer, be it American or foreign CTIS, how long does it really take?
I can calculate the time based on compressor capacity and size of tires and we are talking minutes, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes to cycle from say 60 psi to 10 and back up to 60. How much do the extra air tanks help and how big are they?
Thanks for posting images of non-American vehicles!
per the manual here is the info you seek.

at 2000 rpm engine speed

all tires can be inflated in 20 minutes to a pressure of 1kp/cm2 in 20 minutes. That is from flat to the pressure stated. Higher pressures obviously would take more time.

from experience you never have 8 flat tires so adjusting pressures for different terrains or airing up a tire that has been half flat from a leak etc inflates very quickly and has proved to be a great tool. The most interesting thing for me is all the air passages etc that there is in the hub to make the ctis work. I had a hub apart to install new bearings and it was very interesting to see it wouldnt be a system you could just add to a vehicle very easily.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kraz 255

Thanks, much appreciated, it confirms my calculations (approx). 1kp/cm2 is about 14 psi and 2,000 rpm is not exactely at idle, so we are talking some time for this, which I think is a biggie.
Wonder how well the system works at subzero temps, the valves may become a problem. What kind of air dryer has been incorporated?
Sorry about bugging you with the little stuff, but that's where it's at IMHO.

vtunimog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kraz 255

my Ural takes forever and a day to inflate the tires (only 6) from say 15 psi up to 40. I would guess at least 25-30 minutes. the Ural is strange you can control the air flow from within the cab but you have to get out to open the cocks at the wheel, seems like a self defeating design.

THe pics of the Kraz are pretty nice. I don't know if he is on this list but Sean Reynolds in the UK has a really nice Kraz - we Had I think he sold it. His videos are on Youtube quite a bit under Russiantrucks.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks