• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kudzu "kudzuol" and a multifuel?

Odyssey M

I did a quick search here on kudzu with no hits. So, I throw this out for discussion:

Any opinions on the use of homemade "kudzuol" in a multifuel (I think the ethanol based components would destroy an engine over time)? Kudzu is about to eat my yard. I'd love to put it to good use...Or, I could jut trade the dogs in for some goats. No more dog food bills + you can eat the goat...

Odyssey M

Thanks guys...I was curious if the cellulose-material (corn, grain, kudzu, ect...) produced noticeable ethanol blends. In my case, I have a plethora of Kudzu at hand. I'll dig in to the ethanol links. I will say, to be legal anyone making ethanol on their own needs to obey Big Brother's laws: TTBGov: Fuel Alcohol FAQs

dozer1

Get the goats or a decent yard sprayer. On your way to the store, stop off and fuel up your deuce with diesel. Its the best fuel for long term reliability. It's even inching back down in price. (for the moment)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once had to use a weedeater in a neighbor's yard and there was a section overgrown with kudzu. I cut it all down with the w.e. but 2 months later it was back and worse. I don't know what kills that stuff, but you can scratch off weedeaters. Maybe Agent Orange, not sure.

Good luck...

Don't be too quick to dismiss that wonderful ethanol. You can use it to cut and thin your WMO before you pump it through the filtration so that it passes the filter easier with less pressure. Blended with WMO you've got what I like to refer to as "Purina Deuce Chow".
:beer:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't hardly kill Kudzu by chemical means. It can't stand grazing though and it will kill it and it won't be back. Goats do love the stuff.

The main problem with ethanol is it takes more energy to make it than it produces with today's technology. The commercial ethanol industry is heavily subsidized to make it profitable. Only way to make it worth it is to make it for human consumption :wink:.

TMNT

Hogs work better on kudzu than goats. Hogs will eat the whole plant and dig out the roots. Of course, they make a huge mess doing it and you have to deal with the hogs, but they are extremely effective on kudzu.

dozer1

You can't hardly kill Kudzu by chemical means. It can't stand grazing though and it will kill it and it won't be back. Goats do love the stuff.

The main problem with ethanol is it takes more energy to make it than it produces with today's technology. The commercial ethanol industry is heavily subsidized to make it profitable. Only way to make it worth it is to make it for human consumption :wink:.

Only true when you are talking cellulostic ethanol

Odyssey M

Kudzu--bane from the "good idea fairy". I'm still leaning toward goats. I like the idea of milk or meat goats chowing down on some renewable/free food. The hogs may prove to be more destructive to the land.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The problem with goats is keeping them where the Kudzu is........any fence that will hold water will keep a goat in.
Goats can be a handfull plus they are hardheaded and the billygoats can be downright mean!!!

I remember my Grandpa's billygoat ate the ragtop off his car. He told Grandma..."Mary Agnes...get my shotgun!"

We had goat meat for quite a spell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks