• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last (and only) cold start advance/high idle post/question

Rrent

Truck is not where I am, but will be tomorrow. Let me be sure I understand correctly.
There is a temp sensor - back of passenger head. It runs the injection pump advance and high idle - via a green wire (to both?). The wire should have voltage prior to warmup -no voltage after.
The truck can live without this up advance and cold/high idle - but will take longer to warmup and might smoke during this warmup? But I should not run truck if ip advance is continuous on?
I’m 4++ decades of gas engine experience, but well less than a single year of diesel know how.
Thanks in advance.
R

Barrman

Yes, the green wire does both the fast idle solenoid and the cold advance in side the injection pump. Except for about 6 days a year here in Texas you don’t need it.

Rrent

Yes, the green wire does both the fast idle solenoid and the cold advance in side the injection pump. Except for about 6 days a year here in Texas you don’t need it.
Thank goodness on the 6 days a year- cause the fast idle and injection pump advance have juice going to them long after the M1009 has “warmed up”. Good news: both disconnected, not so good I could not locate the temp sensor on the passenger side head..?
Left (driver’s side) sure thing.
Plus found whatever is in this picture.413063EE-7416-4248-8245-57738A9194C5.jpeg

Last edited:

dependable

Sensor is at back of head facing firewall, kind of hard to get at. If I recall, the one for fast idle circuit is on passenger side, the one on other head is for glow control.

Barrman

Look at the drivers side head right behind the alternator and above the exhaust. You will see the temperature idiot light sensor. Since the heads for both sides are the same casting. The same hole for the sensor on the drivers side is the hole in the head at the rear of the passenger side for the green wire. It should just be a sensor with two male blades on it. The green wire plugs into one of the blades. The other is always hot with the ignition on. I have found several in the past where the post are touching.

I have also had some where the sensor shorts out internally and the fast idle is on like you have. I have better luck changing the sensor out from the top since you don't get coolant all over you that way.

Rrent

Look at the drivers side head right behind the alternator and above the exhaust. You will see the temperature idiot light sensor. Since the heads for both sides are the same casting. The same hole for the sensor on the drivers side is the hole in the head at the rear of the passenger side for the green wire. It should just be a sensor with two male blades on it. The green wire plugs into one of the blades. The other is always hot with the ignition on. I have found several in the past where the post are touching.

I have also had some where the sensor shorts out internally and the fast idle is on like you have. I have better luck changing the sensor out from the top since you don't get coolant all over you that way.
Thanks - that makes much better sense than where I was looking.

Rrent

Truck is not where I am, but will be tomorrow. Let me be sure I understand correctly.
There is a temp sensor - back of passenger head. It runs the injection pump advance and high idle - via a green wire (to both?). The wire should have voltage prior to warmup -no voltage after.
The truck can live without this up advance and cold/high idle - but will take longer to warmup and might smoke during this warmup? But I should not run truck if ip advance is continuous on?
I’m 4++ decades of gas engine experience, but well less than a single year of diesel know how.
Thanks in advance.
R
Found the glow plug sensor…C52FD315-6262-4A23-82A5-3589B2EFA32A.jpeg

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the glow plug sensor…View attachment 847654
Are you sure that is the right one? I'm not sure about that one. I think Standard Motors makes one for around $75.00 I thought you were referring to the glow plug sensor on the passenger side head. I might have read the post wrong. that looks like it might be for the drivers side head.

Rrent

I think he needs both. The one he showed on the drivers side rear was in rough shape and the harness was ready to short. But YES he still needs the fast idle sensor on the passengers side rear of the head. That is the expensive one. Good Luck. Take Care.
Yes, I have both incoming.

dougco1

Rrent

Thanks in advance.
R
Thanks in advance.
R
I have both sensors either in-hand or in-coming. I’m guessing this picture (back right/side head) is the sensor/plug for the cold start/ high idle. The plug looks like it’s seen better days… possible the reason for the incorrect function of the cold start/ high idle system…FB2CEF92-D0CC-469D-ADFB-258DFE22DBD8.jpeg
Zoom in to see the wiring to the plug better.

vanaisa

Yes, this is cold start/hi idle sensor. In my 1008 wires were also cooked, hard and brittle. I changed wires, cleaned connector and sensor works again as should.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks