• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lds Injection Pump On Ldt

RAYZER

I've been having an issue with the code E injection pump on my Ldt deuce tractor and would like to replace it with an Lds code B Pump i have on hand, will this work?
Searching through tm 9-2815-210-34, I find the Lds pump advance unit springs are shorter and have a lighter compression rate than the Ltd pump advance, if im not mistaken this would mean an earlier advance and torque curve with more power at lower (than Ldt pump) rpm, this would be an advantage for i frequently pull a 10k lb trailer, sometimes long distance.

Who has done this and with what results?
What ealse do I need to consider?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It works fine.

Gimp(rhymes with chimp) has installed one on his ldt.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the issue with your current pump?

On a side note: I had the centrifugal advance weight pivot pin come part way out on my Code E pump. The pin "milled out" part of the inside of my injection pump. If I had the pins, I could have fixed it, but instead I replaced the Code E pump with a Code B pump... with one twist. I did not have a hydraulic head for the Code B Pump. So with some research and taking a shot in the dark, I put the Code E hydraulic head on my Code B injection pump. In the manual it does not say that my Code E hydraulic head goes on a Code B Pump.... but it does work. I have been driving it for about 1500 miles so far without an issue. I suspect the only thing different with the two hydraulic heads is the displacement per stroke, but I did not confirm this. My truck runs good but not the same as the LDS in my M109A3. They sound completely different also (possibly due to the possible one hole injectors in the LDS engine. I did not confirm that they are one hole injectors in my truck). I hope this helps.

RAYZER

Not sure exactly the issue with my code E pump but I suspect it's govener related,I looked inside but didn't see anything obvious.
I had the code B Pump with correct HH given to me by hemichallenger (thankyou)
But missing the advance assembly, thanks to gimpyrobb I now have the correct code B Pump advance! The pump is together and installed!
I do have two hole injectors.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, we change parts easier than testing the ones we take off. If the new IP works, great! If not... Just Dam*!

RAYZER

I meant you ripped and jerked and got er' done pretty quick.
Thanks for your support Jeepsinker!
This was the first ip I've had to remove while in frame, man there's a bunch of components to deal with before the pump can be pulled!
I bet next time it will go much quicker!

RAYZER

Got it all put back together last night!
Took her on a shakedown cruise today about 30 miles and she runs and sounds great!
I'm excited to see how she pulls the Taj!
There seems to be a lot more power around 1200 to 2000 rpm's, I'm thinking because of the lighter spring tension in the advance unit changing torque curve? This truck is way more fun to drive now with the new Lds pump installed!

On a side note, lighter advance unit springs installed In an Ldt injection pump might result in higher midrange torque.

Lds vrs Ldt advance unit spring uploadfromtaptalk1414891008435.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414891051055.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So it is opposite from what you thought? Initially, you thought low end power, now your saying upper range? Did it stop the shudder you had with the LDT?

RAYZER

So it is opposite from what you thought? Initially, you thought low end power, now your saying upper range? Did it stop the shudder you had with the LDT?
The replacement lds IP did eliminate the issue I was having.
I was considering 1200 to slightly higher rpm's more midrange (i think this is what I ment! :D),this range is where (before Lds pump) when pulling the trailer it would struggle the most when encountering hills, there is definitely noticeable power increase across the board but midrange rpm is where I really feel it , of course the true test will be when I hook up the Taj and take a road trip which will be happening next weekend.
When the truck was under load (with the ldt pump, turned up), the midrange power was somewhat flat.
I do have a boost gauge on order so to have the ability to maximize performance, egt's remain close to what they were before the pump change.uploadfromtaptalk1414898281743.jpg
Here's a hp and torque rating graph for the Lds.
Does anyone know where to find the graph for the Ldt engine?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Both and LDS and an LDT.

I do not think the springs are the only difference in the ldt pump and the lds pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks