• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED instrument panel lights

Aernan

My voltmeter went out and now I'm looking to see if I can get brighter lights for my gages. The TM lists:
60 PAOZZ 71744 CM7376 .LAMP,INCANDESCENT.................. 36

That turns out to be a 7376 bulb which is easy to find on the internet. I have not located a LED drop in replacement. Has anyone found something that fits?

I do see other threads for adding ring lights inside the gage or modifying other LEDs for other instruments that are not in the M1078.

Last edited:

Aernan

I have contacted a few bulb suppliers and it doesn't look good. There is a small chance that G1.75 base might work or existing bulbs that have their legs folded up could be unfolded. After examining my dead Voltmeter there does not appear to be a way to change that bulb. It may be difficult to update all back lights/dash lights at one go.

aleigh

At the risk of a hijack, it's a pet peeve of mine that the allison panel goes dim whenever you turn the service lights on (or just the brake lights iirc). I took a pass at this last year and what seems to be happening is when the truck lights are on it is dragging a wire up or down on the allison to activate "night" mode. It's not much more than an irritation but out here in the bright sun of AZ it can be a chore to read the panel. I don't know if all trucks do this, several guys on here said theirs did. Dunno if it is a mistake or a "feature" or just a mismatch of the designs. Maybe you want to solve it for us when you are in there adding LEDs :)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
out here in the bright sun of AZ it can be a chore to read the panel
I've actually been working on little 3D printed sun shades for the transmission panel, and the warning lights panel (because I always leave my blinker on). The shades will just bolt in place using the existing bolts on the dash. I haven't finished them, but they are on the list... hopefully over the next few months.

Aernan

At the risk of a hijack, it's a pet peeve of mine that the allison panel goes dim whenever you turn the service lights on (or just the brake lights iirc). I took a pass at this last year and what seems to be happening is when the truck lights are on it is dragging a wire up or down on the allison to activate "night" mode. It's not much more than an irritation but out here in the bright sun of AZ it can be a chore to read the panel. I don't know if all trucks do this, several guys on here said theirs did. Dunno if it is a mistake or a "feature" or just a mismatch of the designs. Maybe you want to solve it for us when you are in there adding LEDs :)
I will certainly give it a look. I agree it's hard to read. The plastic on my lens is clouded so I need to figure out how to clean/polish/replace mine. Brighter lights would be great too.

Rebuilder

Slightly on topic.... I made a new warning light panel out of laser etched plastic but the lamps get so hot it warps it. It still functions great and I'm beyond the point of worrying about it melting or catching fire but it sure would be nice to swap to LEDs.

20170703_175436.jpg20170703_180754.jpg

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've actually been working on little 3D printed sun shades for the transmission panel, and the warning lights panel (because I always leave my blinker on).
You know that most, if not all ,LMTV,s have self-cancelling turn signals? Yours is probably out of adjustment. Mine was and it was easy to fix.

Sgthoffer

20171116_091545.jpg
Mine look like this. I need an oil pressure gauge. Mine is broke. Flops all over the place when driving. So.etimes never moves, sometimes maxed out.

coachgeo

I've actually been working on little 3D printed sun shades for the transmission panel, and the warning lights panel (because I always leave my blinker on). The shades will just bolt in place using the existing bolts on the dash. I haven't finished them, but they are on the list... hopefully over the next few months.
Consider putting little LED's inside these that illuminate the gauges below it?. Taps off wire(s) that light gauges?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know that most, if not all ,LMTV,s have self-cancelling turn signals? Yours is probably out of adjustment. Mine was and it was easy to fix.
Wow, no kidding? I assumed that they were just manually canceled, the way the turn signal switch is just bolted to the steering column. I'll look for your thread.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll say that my experience with FMTVs is limited to about 5 minutes of sitting in the passenger seat of a stationary truck. Having said that, I do have a bit of experience making LEDs work in dash panels that aren't LED friendly.

I Googled the bulb and see that it is a basic bi-pin design. While I didn't find any direct LED replacements, I did have an idea. A simple board diode should work the same, correct? Get the correct voltage, color of your choice and long pins. Cut the pins to length and insert like the original bulb. The pins on the board diodes are stiff enough to support the diode. Picture below is just for reference, but that 500 piece kit is only like $5 shipped. Just a thought...

Screenshot_2017-11-30-23-13-03.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks