• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED issue

twisted60

Stumped, I just installed LED brake and turn signals in my '86 M998 but,,, when I have my head lights on the turn signals don't work.

With headlights off everything works perfectly. I replaced the bulb in turn signal switch with an LED, I have LED marker lights, LED headlights, LED brake and turn signals, so...what did I miss ?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use a 50 watt resistor on the turn signal to simulate the heavier load of incandescent?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stumped, I just installed LED brake and turn signals in my '86 M998 but,,, when I have my head lights on the turn signals don't work.

With headlights off everything works perfectly. I replaced the bulb in turn signal switch with an LED, I have LED marker lights, LED headlights, LED brake and turn signals, so...what did I miss ?
Your problem is the turn signal flasher unit.
It’s made for incandescent lamps.
you need to put an LED bulb in the flasher unit.
this is a common problem, that or buy the truklite flasher unit for
$300 bucks...

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, changing the flasher unit to one that works for LED is good but using a 50watt resistor makes a standard flasher think there is a bulb with the draw of incandescent. They are about $6 each and only need to go on the turn signal. Everyone selling LED's has them.

twisted60

Yes, changing the flasher unit to one that works for LED is good but using a 50watt resistor makes a standard flasher think there is a bulb with the draw of incandescent. They are about $6 each and only need to go on the turn signal. Everyone selling LED's has them.
Where would I install the resistor ?
I think I have a LED compatible flasher unit some where in my spare parts supply but I'd like to try the resistor first.

Thanks for the help

springer1981

Where would I install the resistor ?
I think I have a LED compatible flasher unit some where in my spare parts supply but I'd like to try the resistor first.

Thanks for the help
If you have the LED Flasher why would you want to use a resister to INCREASE power draw so that it flashes? One of the benefits of the LED's is they use less power. The resister makes the LED use more power so it can operate a bi-metal mechanical flasher.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The resistor installs between the + and - . Springer is right, it brings the load to where a mechanical system can "see" it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks