• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lighter Doors?

nattieleather

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to make the doors on a M37 lighter? Want to make the doors removable for the summer time and as I get older those door get heavier and I am looking for ways to make them lighter.

Thanks,
Joe

FrankUSMC

Joe
Correct me if I am wrong, but the army did make a prototype light weight M37. I am going off what is remaining of my brain housing group here so work with me. If I remember right, they tried making light weight doors out of canvas and metal frames. I seen photos of it some where years ago, might have been in Fred Crimsons' book "US MILITARY VEHICLES".
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

nattieleather

@FrankUSMC. Yes I think they tried making an airborn one that was all aluminum but it didn't pass muster. I am sure I could make a metal frame and canvas/vinyl door, but I want to have a door door for locking it it up and for less than perfect weather. A fiberglass replica door would be an interesting idea, I'm just not to good making fiberglass parts.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have good, straight hard doors then you have the basis for making molds. In my opinion it's much harder to start from scratch, so I think you are at an advantage having doors.

There are some pretty good Utube tutorials on making fiberglass molds and laying up parts. Have a look before dismissing the idea as being too difficult.

Or, research your area businesses for a low production fiberglass shop to bid the work for you.

Wichever door type you choose, keep us informed and show us your progress.

Rick

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Joe
have you thought about getting a 2nd set of doors (Call them the summer doors) and removing the glass? that would take some of the weight off the doors, and still have a lockable truck. Cut some Plexiglas to place in the window slots when you want complete security.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

nattieleather

Why don't you fabricate a wire frame and fit some custom made canvas doors.
Weeeell....I said this above "but I want to have a door for locking it up and for less than perfect weather." In other words I want to be able to park the truck close the door, lock it and walk away for a while and when its late fall or early spring I want to be able keep heat in and the elements out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks