• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Gunners Platform Install Start

Overdrive

LMTV Gunners Platform Install FINISHED

I have been busy reconfiguring my workshop for the winter to try and fit the new M1082 trailer and M720 Dolly Set inside so I can work on all the military fun things when the weather gets bad so I haven't posted lately.

Still messy but everything fits... barely!
Workshop001.jpg

I picked up a gunners platform with the folding center seat that will be my next writeup. Pics and progress to follow soon.

The shelf and platform rubber padding don't match but I am not worried about it at the moment. All the pieces of the platform are aluminum so they are very light weight.
Gunnersplatform001.jpg
I didn't have the locking pins for the shelf to platform so I bought a couple of pins from Amazon: Monroe Zinc Plated Steel Quick Release Pin, Ring Handle, 3/8" Diameter, 3" Grip Length

Mounting: you can see there are the 4 holes in the platform that match the offset seat mounting points and there are two additional holes close to the shelf. I haven't decided on whether or not to drill and install nutserts for those holes into the cab floor yet.

Note: If you have the Gen2 AC evap unit there is not enough room for the shelf to be lowered. You will have to keep the shelf in the "up" configuration. (thanks tburk49760)

Folding Gunner's seat. I have taken it apart and sanding/repainting everything as well as run the seat covers thru the washing machine.
Gunnersplatform002.jpg Gunnersplatform003.jpg

UPDATE: Here is the finished product. I had to get longer metric bolts to mount the seat/platform. I didn't put in nutserts for the two forward holes in the mount. It was a real pain to set the lower pins for the little step since I had added a LOT of sound proofing around the center hump under the mat. My truck already had the two little mounds on the floor for the step. It seems sturdy. Of course I HAD to transfer the door pin-switched green LED light strips from the fixed seat to the new one ;)

gunnersplatform004.jpg gunnersplatform005.jpg gunnersplatform006.jpg

Over the winter I will also be completing my AC install to finally get that monster project complete and trying out the engine block heater when it gets cold enough.

I wanted to comment briefly on a disappointing development that is weighing heavily on my good times working on the LMTV and this very entertaining and fun hobby. I have bought quite a few parts for my exploits from fellow SS members and have also sold parts to some of you. I have had a great time figuring out these trucks and working with a lot of good people here to solve problems and come up with pretty cool modifications. I have tried to steer clear of any arguments as I respect everyone's opinion even if I don't agree. I recently sent a fellow SS member whom I considered a friend $625 for a number of awesome LMTV parts that were slated to be future modifications that I had planned on doing more writeups on to share with this great group of people. Unfortunately it looks like this person has decided to keep my money and the parts... I won't mention the person by name but the situation has dampened my spirits so I may not be posting as much as I usually do for a while. I will get this gunners platform write up done in hopes that working on something will help me get over this situation.

Thank you to everyone in this forum.

OD

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry you've had this experience. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on this site and have had very good luck dealing with everyone including sending items before payment and in some cases for free. Don't let one twit ruin the site for you. And I'd give him a couple days more with a warning then name him. Don't let him screw someone else.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow OD. I too have a hard time believing someone here would treat a fellow member this way. I certainly hope there is a plausible explanation and said member carries through with their end of your agreement. Let's hope for an equitable resolution and a winter full of fun LMTV projects.

Ukraine Train

I hope you get it sorted out. I had a similar experience on another forum for some Corvette wheels. I eventually did a "whois" search on a website the seller had and was able to get his full name, address, and phone number. Once he got phone calls from me at home he ended up shipping the wheels.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
contact a mod asap!

Give him the benefit of doubt- family emergency, sick, etc but a mod should be aware and involved. There might be others in exactly the same boat and only the mods would know the scope of all complaints.

DanM7890

Most people on the forums tend to be good people. Give it a couple days and see if the situation changes. When it comes to money that's already been paid, organize your records and print them out or save them to your computer to show proof of payments. If you don't hear anything take the next step via CC company or paypal.

Overdrive

Thanks guys for the support, I have finally made contact with the individual and following your recommendations I have decided to give the situation until the end of the month to get resolved. My apologies for mixing this issue with the actual subject of this thread, installing a gunners platform. I feel inspired by all the positive support both in this thread and via PM. You folks are awesome!

I will start work on the platform this weekend. I have the main base aluminum platform, the step part that has the hinges and arms. Fortunately, my truck already had the two mounting brackets for the little step/shelf hidden under the floor mat. The issue I am going to have here is that I installed all the soundproofing around those hinges so the clearance for the lock pins for the shelf may be too tight. might have to make a little riser spacer.

What is going to take the longest is the folding seat install. The seat plate is rusted so I took the whole thing apart and am sanding and painting each piece. The fold up center seat is pretty slick. I also took off the upholstery and ran it thru the washing machine. Pics to follow soon!

OD

Last edited:

tburk49760

I have the gunners platform and the center seat. My issue is that the front part of the platform won't fold down with the larger evaporator unit installed. I will likely remove at least the front piece and build some kind of center console type thing

Overdrive

I have the gunners platform and the center seat. My issue is that the front part of the platform won't fold down with the larger evaporator unit installed. I will likely remove at least the front piece and build some kind of center console type thing
I noticed that as well. I have the Gen2 unit. I will add that note to my first post. Thanks!

Overdrive

Thanks for the input sargentworlf, my truck had the little hinge brackets for the shelf already installed as well. It is the two bolts forward on the platform that are not already there in the floor.

Overdrive

This might get moved by admins but I wanted to update my "problem" mentioned in my original post in this thread:

I wanted to comment briefly on a disappointing development that is weighing heavily on my good times working on the LMTV and this very entertaining and fun hobby. I have bought quite a few parts for my exploits from fellow SS members and have also sold parts to some of you. I have had a great time figuring out these trucks and working with a lot of good people here to solve problems and come up with pretty cool modifications. I have tried to steer clear of any arguments as I respect everyone's opinion even if I don't agree. I recently sent a fellow SS member whom I considered a friend $625 for a number of awesome LMTV parts that were slated to be future modifications that I had planned on doing more writeups on to share with this great group of people. Unfortunately it looks like this person has decided to keep my money and the parts... I won't mention the person by name but the situation has dampened my spirits so I may not be posting as much as I usually do for a while. I will get this gunners platform write up done in hopes that working on something will help me get over this situation.

UPDATE: It has now been over three months. I tried to be patient and asked for my money back or shipment of parts to me -shipping out of the original $635 I sent. Last month, November, I was told parts were on their way, two weeks later I asked to verify parts were shipped, I got a "yes sir they are on their way." A month later now and no parts and no responses to my messages.... unfortunately, LMTV772 (Al)has been banned already from SS and he was the member that has ripped me off. Very disappointed in a "friend" doing something like this. More LMTV projects may take a bit longer since I have lost a large amount of my fun money for these projects.

OD

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith,

I'm really sorry you've had to go through this. I can count on one hand (with most of the fingers left over) people on this site that have turned out to be scumbags. Daryl Braun is the 1st to come to mind and looks like LMTV772 is right up there with him. If it was me (I'm a very spiteful person I'm ashamed to admit) I'd post his full name and city location. There might be people local to him in FL that don't know what a reprobate he is and might fall prey to his schemes. Getting banned here takes an extreme amount of asshatedness so that's a good indication of what type of person he is.

I don't have a lot of extra parts laying around for the 1078 but if you need something let me know and they're yours. If I don't have it on hand I might be able to locate it through my super secret source.

MC

Last edited:

coachgeo

I just don't get some people. First he swore up and down I was such a blight on board, course then it was Mkcohen who was the baddy; who knew who was going to be next. Guess on a bulletin board one place a fellow can attempt to hide their real character is behind their character assassinations of others. :shrugs: But while he's no longer allowed in here to attack another, he's also not able to come in here and defend himself either so out of respect am not going to say anything more.

Hope you get your items ordered or money back in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Overdrive

All,
Thanks so much for your support guys. Much appreciated. Admins gave me permission to post up his info since really there isn't anything else I can do here...

Here are the parts I supposedly paid for ($635):
1. Insulated ceiling panels <-- will just make my own
2. Fuel Tank L-brackets <-- this is the one that hurts - really need a pair of these
3. 24v work light that plugs into port behind cab <-- not really needed
4. driver's side front skid panel (A1 truck) that goes from the lift bar down to the battery box and lets you hold chock blocks. <-- I may just make my own
5. Driver's seat <-- just welded my own broken seat so don't need

As A side note, I won a hard shell cargo cover for an LMTV that this person said they wanted so I passed up two sales offers. Of course he never sent me any money. Was going to give it to him at my cost for auction and gas to go pick it up from OKC ($450). It is currently sitting on the side of my workshop. Has a few small holes and needs to have the lifting cables replaced (its one of the hi/low covers).

Here is his info... BUYER BEWARE! I purchased a number of items from him in the past with no problems. Shipping was always very slow but well packed. Always pushed to receive his payment immediately. I considered him a friend and we talked via text all the time about LMTV stuff as most of you noticed in a number of my posts I credited him with helping me....

Steel Soldiers User Name: LMTV772
eBay Userid: window_shoppin_ken

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks