LMTV out there somewhere?

nayrbrellim

S-280 exterior dimensions are 87" wide x 147" long
Right now I have an M105 trailer bed on the back at about 74" wide x 110" long +/- (these are the cargo area dimensions, so the out to out dims are a little bigger). Not sure I have enough frame to support the S-280, but I still consider myself new to the MV life, so maybe there is an option I dont know of

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
Right now I have an M105 trailer bed on the back at about 74" wide x 110" long +/- (these are the cargo area dimensions, so the out to out dims are a little bigger). Not sure I have enough frame to support the S-280, but I still consider myself new to the MV life, so maybe there is an option I dont know of
Maybe seeing what some of the other guys are doing with their shelter will give you some ideas. It doesn't have to be like a lot of these whole-hog, all in, full tilt things I have seen. Those are nice - don't get me wrong! If you had a box like the S-280, you could clean it out. Wipe and clean and maybe even paint the inside in a light color. Military Mint (that light green) is what I call it... Maybe throw down a piece of carpet and maybe a pad under that.

You could use a small generator to power some lights and maybe an electrical connection or two for a hot plate or similar for indoor cooking. Heck, you might even plan on cooking outside on a Coleman Camp Stove most if the time. It all comes down to how much you want to invest and how nice it needs to be for YOU to be happy with it. Meaning you could throw a foam pad and a sleeping bag on the floor to sleep - or a small bed like you would use in your house - or you could build a build an eighteen inch tall box to put a mattress on and use the space under it for storage.

Big thing to remember is to NOT DIE because the generator is exhausting you. Drag it out away and pull power back to your shelter with an extension cord. A battery powered Co2 Detector on the floor of the box is a good $30 well spent!

Below is an OLD thread discussing shelters:

nayrbrellim

Maybe seeing what some of the other guys are doing with their shelter will give you some ideas. It doesn't have to be like a lot of these whole-hog, all in, full tilt things I have seen. Those are nice - don't get me wrong! If you had a box like the S-280, you could clean it out. Wipe and clean and maybe even paint the inside in a light color. Military Mint (that light green) is what I call it... Maybe throw down a piece of carpet and maybe a pad under that.

You could use a small generator to power some lights and maybe an electrical connection or two for a hot plate or similar for indoor cooking. Heck, you might even plan on cooking outside on a Coleman Camp Stove most if the time. It all comes down to how much you want to invest and how nice it needs to be for YOU to be happy with it. Meaning you could throw a foam pad and a sleeping bag on the floor to sleep - or a small bed like you would use in your house - or you could build a build an eighteen inch tall box to put a mattress on and use the space under it for storage.

Big thing to remember is to NOT DIE because the generator is exhausting you. Drag it out away and pull power back to your shelter with an extension cord. A battery powered Co2 Detector on the floor of the box is a good $30 well spent!

Below is an OLD thread discussing shelters:
Thanks for the intel.

nayrbrellim

S-280 exterior dimensions are 87" wide x 147" long
What kind of pricing are we talking about here before I get too deep into the imagination. And do you think there would be an issue with the S-280 box cantilevering out a few feet past the frame off the back of my bobbed 5 ton (I'm assuming I would have to remove the M105 trailer bed that is on there now).

Phoenix77

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the S-280 by itself, $2,000.

I was going to upscale the concept I did for my previous S-250:

Last edited:

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
That S-250 build looks awesome, well above my skill set though.
Okay, so maybe the answer would be an already made camper - like one that would go into the back of a pickup truck. That way it will be already "built out" and ready to use. The only thing would be how to attach it to the truck. I have seen some of those builds. Maybe if you search around here and maybe FaceBook to find what somebody else has done we can offer other ideas or ways to get it attached to your transportation.

:)

Phoenix77

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That S-250 build looks awesome, well above my skill set though.
Meh; not really. I'm not an electrician, I just know enough to not have electrocuted myself by now.

Really just a few basic principles and then you start getting creative.

I am a woodworker with access to about 15 different species of wood, but that's the only distinct advantage.

The cabinet was made entirely on a table saw and with the exception of the frames of the doors, exclusively out of plywood (not even nice plywood) I had in the shop. Same thing as electrical work; learn a few basics and get creative in their application. Suddenly you look like a ninja...

I will say that the grill enclosure was, in fact, deliberately over the top to be anachronistic to the whole spartan military surplus aesthetic.

nayrbrellim

Okay, so maybe the answer would be an already made camper - like one that would go into the back of a pickup truck. That way it will be already "built out" and ready to use. The only thing would be how to attach it to the truck. I have seen some of those builds. Maybe if you search around here and maybe FaceBook to find what somebody else has done we can offer other ideas or ways to get it attached to your transportation.

:)
Roger that - that's what we were thinkin as well.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have a M1081 that has been sitting on my property for months. The paperwork has been a disaster. I can't drive it so I mostly look at it.

Not a great experience so far.

My advice is if the vehicle doesn't already have a title, walk the F away. I'm paying the price for that mistake in my time and actual $$ right now.

Mullaney

Supporting Vendor
Yes, I have a M1081 that has been sitting on my property for months. The paperwork has been a disaster. I can't drive it so I mostly look at it.

Not a great experience so far.

My advice is if the vehicle doesn't already have a title, walk the F away. I'm paying the price for that mistake in my time and actual $$ right now.
That is sad.

Was it one of these deals where somebody had a truck with just an SF97 - who didn't put the truck in their name - sold you the truck - and you find out that you can't do SQUAT with that form to get yourself a title?

(me speaking from past experience)

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is sad.

Was it one of these deals where somebody had a truck with just an SF97 - who didn't put the truck in their name - sold you the truck - and you find out that you can't do SQUAT with that form to get yourself a title?

(me speaking from past experience)
No, it was that the SF97 was incorrect from GP, took months to get replaced, then I filed for the wrong vehicles title. DMV and Raleigh both missed that the SF97 didn't match the SP inspection. I had to file for a new title that has been done. DA will be made whole. I sure am sorry that a comedy of errors caused all this, but sh!t happens. It certainly wasn't malicious. Anyone wants to know, feel free to get ahold of me. No need to speculate

Phoenix77

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A clusterf-k rooted in a former US Armyvehicle and paperwork from GovPlanet: two (2) models of efficiency and due diligence?? 🤯

No f-ing way. I refuse to believe it.

We all have / have to accept these transactions are not always going to be super smooth sailing - that is the exception, not the rule - between paperwork and unforeseen mechanical issues, the process is not paint by numbers like CarMax or Carvana.

The only thing we have to get through it, is reliance on each other's integrity and willingness to help.

To that end, @DieselAddict , you are in good hands with @wheelspinner ; for what the situation is, I have every confidence he is doing what can be done to operate effectively in one of the Greatest Debacle on Earth; a 1-2 punch of US military paperwork and GovPlanet ineptitude, plus a groin kick from Ye Olde NC DMV - a paragon of inefficiency.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks