• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV tires

sjohn116

Goodyear vs. Michelin are the usual debate for highway and offroad, respectively...but I dont recall hearing much about the XZL's by Michelin. Anyone use these, and what are the results (wear/grip/etc)? Seems like the tread pattern is closer to the Goodyear. Higher load rating (J vs. G). Just looking for input on these tires on LMTV. Currently have Goodyear

We just built up our wheels with XZLs for our LMTV. From talking to others that run them, the XZLs seem comparable in many ways to the Michelin XMLs. Some people say they are a little quieter and wear a little better than the XMLs, but we haven't run them yet, so I'm not sure. The XZLs have the same max rated speed as the XMLs (55mph), but lower than the Goodyear. I think the XZLs look nice. If you have the high speed gear mod, you might want to stick with the Good Year.

This is our wheels as of this weekend.

all-5-tires-assembled-and-inflated.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Paved road use will eat up tires fast. The Goodyears seem to last a bit longer. I have found Michelins dont age as well as the Goodyears. The Michelins are known to be a bit more aggressive offroad. I dont do much offroading here in CT I would end up stuck between 2 trees.
Will

res0wc18

Even on lighter rigs the road chews them up quick...... I don't think there is any commercial type tire that would have enough diameter to keep the RPMS similar unless someone can prove me wrong

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

Were all ears....
:popcorn:
Pointman
I wont be able to post the source I have seen several people scolded for posting adds I will say it is an organization that has adds on the borders of the page one of their yard men let me know about some up coming stock. I'm thinking of buying a couple of pallets to have enough spares to last me for a while as shipping here is a buck a pound.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just a note. I did get 28k to 33k miles out of a set of six 14.00 XZLs on my 5 ton on the road. So they do wear well

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

1951M1078

We just built up our wheels with XZLs for our LMTV. From talking to others that run them, the XZLs seem comparable in many ways to the Michelin XMLs. Some people say they are a little quieter and wear a little better than the XMLs, but we haven't run them yet, so I'm not sure. The XZLs have the same max rated speed as the XMLs (55mph), but lower than the Goodyear. I think the XZLs look nice. If you have the high speed gear mod, you might want to stick with the Good Year.

View attachment 664651
Lost, what did you paint the wheels with ? Think I read you had them powder coated ? What tipe of cost ?

By the way they came out great !

Randy

snowtrac nome

it may have some effect but not much heat is what kills a tire keep it inflated right and aligned properly, the only scrubbing will be in tight turns. when driving on a lot of pavement don't forget about rotation rotate the tires before they show cupping from caster camber scrubbing.

Special T

The Mich xzl will wear better than the Xml but the xml will have better off road traction due to the larger voids in between lugs. I have heard of a trucking company using the 395s in Goodyear MV/T as super single drive Tire replacements for over the road work. It must work pretty good. There was an outfit here in the Skagit Valley some years back that ran the 395s of both makes on end dumps hauling tree tops and such to a chipping plant for hog fuel. The local mill used it in thier Co gen plant.

Special T

Speed rating on tires is a function of how deep the tread is, how fast, and how much weight. I would guess that the tread depth isn't as deep on the GDY tires to get a higher speed rating. The voids are also the smallest of the 3 tread patterns talked about, likely making the tire life similar.

JOSEPHLEDEZMA

View attachment 664651
1994 LMTV 4 RIMS AND TIRES?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even on lighter rigs the road chews them up quick...... I don't think there is any commercial type tire that would have enough diameter to keep the RPMS similar unless someone can prove me wrong

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Just read the comment about fast wear with Michelin tires. I have run 365 x 20 XZL's for well over 100 k miles on several Unimog trucks. High air pressure kills the Michelins. For example, on a U1300 a pressure of 65 psi was tried on a round trip Knoxville to Denver and back. Just about used up those tires, and they wore unevenly.

Next trip the pressure was down to 35 psi cold and the wear was maybe a third!. Let those wonderfully pliable Michelin tire sidewalls flex to keep the tire face on the road. Check for tire heating and 'tune' for just warm tire temp. 35 psi with 7000 lb on an axle works for me. The ride is nice too.

ramdough

Just read the comment about fast wear with Michelin tires. I have run 365 x 20 XZL's for well over 100 k miles on several Unimog trucks. High air pressure kills the Michelins. For example, on a U1300 a pressure of 65 psi was tried on a round trip Knoxville to Denver and back. Just about used up those tires, and they wore unevenly.

Next trip the pressure was down to 35 psi cold and the wear was maybe a third!. Let those wonderfully pliable Michelin tire sidewalls flex to keep the tire face on the road. Check for tire heating and 'tune' for just warm tire temp. 35 psi with 7000 lb on an axle works for me. The ride is nice too.
What about the Goodyear MVT’s? Any thoughts on tire pressure?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks