• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Wedge Brake Chamber Lube

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the task last week of repairing grabby brakes on a M1078 and went ahead and recorded a video for the novice to at least get an idea of what was behind the braking on their truck as far as the wedge chamber was concerned. Don't know if it is of interest but I hope it helps someone as much as y'all have helped me in the past. Thanks guys.
https://youtu.be/9nyI6hdfpaQ

B-Dog

I had the task last week of repairing grabby brakes on a M1078 and went ahead and recorded a video for the novice to at least get an idea of what was behind the braking on their truck as far as the wedge chamber was concerned. Don't know if it is of interest but I hope it helps someone as much as y'all have helped me in the past. Thanks guys.
https://youtu.be/9nyI6hdfpaQ

I laughed at, "boy it's hard to work with a camera" and, "wow, this is hard to do with 1 hand" :p

Kudos to you sir, thank you for taking your time to film and post!

One of my go-to for parts is, finditparts.com. They do list the same replacement parts kit (PN MPS4012) as shown in the TM but it's spendy, $300 to rebuild 1 brake assembly.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I laughed at, "boy it's hard to work with a camera" and, "wow, this is hard to do with 1 hand" :p

Kudos to you sir, thank you for taking your time to film and post!

One of my go-to for parts is, finditparts.com. They do list the same replacement parts kit (PN MPS4012) as shown in the TM but it's spendy, $300 to rebuild 1 brake assembly.
Thank you. I was able to get from eBay 6 chamber rebuild kits for about $250. That's why I bought them,

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is another video to complement @Lugnuts's. This on done by Neil V. (I forget his username here) and @Lugnuts it shows his method of hooking up the springs that you asked others to post up in your video
Thank you CoachGeo!!! Far superior explanation, filming, nomenclature/ Thank you for bringing this to light for all who need it, I had searched the archives of Steel Soldiers and found no one had done it so while I was there working I filmed it rather primitively for sure. Thank you again and for all who viewed and responded. You are kind but yea, watch the film CoachGeo posted!

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is this the correct brake chamber rebuild kit? https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/650-KIT9006B.html
The kit itself appears to be correct but the long return springs are wrong. The FMTV's have the springs with curvature to go around the housing. Also it states that its for 12" brakes, I did not measure what the diameter of the brakes was on the unit I was working, but as far as the wedge wheel cylinders are concerned they are probably correct. Check EBay also. That's were I got mine at a much less cost.

coachgeo

The kit itself appears to be correct but the long return springs are wrong. The FMTV's have the springs with curvature to go around the housing. Also it states that its for 12" brakes, I did not measure what the diameter of the brakes was on the unit I was working, but as far as the wedge wheel cylinders are concerned they are probably correct. Check EBay also. That's were I got mine at a much less cost.
above kit is a 15" brake; not the 12"... but it also says 12 degree.... no clue how a " degree " comes into play here..... see your point on spring. do recall the curve

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
above kit is a 15" brake; not the 12"... but it also says 12 degree.... no clue how a " degree " comes into play here..... see your point on spring. do recall the curve
The degree is probably a reference to the angle or aggressiveness of the wedge. I forgot to mention in the video that if you remove the wedge and clean it, you will find the part number that you need to replace the wedge. There are quite a few variations and you want them all to match for equal application.

coachgeo

The degree is probably a reference to the angle or aggressiveness of the wedge. I forgot to mention in the video that if you remove the wedge and clean it, you will find the part number that you need to replace the wedge. There are quite a few variations and you want them all to match for equal application.
what part is considered "the wedge"

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what part is considered "the wedge"
The rollers that come out of the tube and press into the wheel cylinder when air is applied. They come in different configurations and lengths. You know looking back at the kit the machining that is in the bottom of the pistons that get pushed out could be cut to certain angles but I never saw a part number on them so I assumed they were all the same. Perhaps I am wrong in my assumption.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks