• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lock out on forward rear axle, to prevent drive line bind

skinnyR1

So, next year, I want to lock out one rear axle, to cut out some of the driveline bind we get on these trucks. I have read that some other people on the forum have done this. You basically put a double splined axle on one side of the forward tandem, as well as the lock out. By doing this, the front axle is driven only when you engage the single lockout. Under locked out operation, only the rear axle is driven, and you now have a truck that does not have the axle bind when taking corners. It may help smooth it out on the highway as well. If anyone has done this, feel free to chime in on how it worked out.

I'd like to find someone to split the cost with me. I only need one lock out, not the pair. I have AVM's on the front, so I figure I will get those again, and they seem to be the cheapest and/or best bang for the buck. I see they sell currently for around $525 a pair.

I think this is the axle I need.

http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_16spline.php

What I propose is that I will buy a set of lock outs, and two double splined axles from overson. We could save on the shipping cost of the axles as well. If someone so chooses, we could split this cost, and I will then forward a long the axle and the single lock out. I get super cheap shipping rates, so I'd forward ship the lock out and axle for next to nothing.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I'd like to do this some time next year, I'm not making anything here, just looking to save costs. We are looking at about $525-550 for each of us to do this. I'd calculate it out precisely before anyone commits. Just one person.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, Randy will sell you a single lockout and a single double splined shaft as a kit. Another option is to reach out to tie6044. He has offered the very set you seek, in the past.

peashooter

Does anyone run this setup, and can provide feedback on how it worked out?
i run the ouverson axle with a selectro hub and have had no issues. I do feel like I read a thread last year of someone who did this but they had an issue with the shaft sliding back and fourth and causing the hub to lock or unlock or something undesirable.... It might have been a avm hub, not sure. If I recall correctly, Gringletaube had an idea to fix it. I suggest doing some searches for the post before buying (just in case).

MikeON

I put Ouverson hubs on the front axle and the kit with one axle shaft and hub on the middle axle. It does resolve the binding but I find a drastic loss of traction with the middle axle disengaged. Even on gravel with a slight up-grade I have to either re-engage the middle axle or lock in the front hubs to get moving.

peashooter

It's nice having and tight turning is easier. It's a lot of money for what it is though. I split a set of hubs with a member and got a deal on an axle so it was more like $400 total but that's still a lot of money... I guess that's the decision then if the cost is worth the benefit for you.

skinnyR1

It's nice having and tight turning is easier. It's a lot of money for what it is though. I split a set of hubs with a member and got a deal on an axle so it was more like $400 total but that's still a lot of money... I guess that's the decision then if the cost is worth the benefit for you.
So....it only helps with low speed maneuverability? It doesn't smooth things out on the highway or anything?

dawico

I am not familiar with the deuce setup, but could you just remove the shaft between the rear axles and use the center axle to drive? Is this not possible or easy to do? Or would it be to hard to put back together if you did need the second axle?

peashooter

So....it only helps with low speed maneuverability? It doesn't smooth things out on the highway or anything?
Not that I've been able to notice. I agree with mike about the loss of traction also. I often tear up wet grass on level ground if I don't have the rear hub locked. I do like that having it would let you run a different size spare tire on one of the rear axles if needed. My truck has 395s and I use a stock rim with an 1100 tire on it for the spare.

ccf460

What about getting an extra deuce axle, cut off the axle shaft, and bolt the end back on (mainly to seal the axle)?? Then just a few bolts ,and you could put the axle back in? Would seem like a good low cost way of doing this, especially on a truck that doesn't see much off road use. Or , at bare minimum ,it would tell if the cost of a lockout would be worth the expense based on if it gives you the gains you are looking for....

ccf460

If my science is right on this and no damage to be done?? Surely there are a boat load of axles lying around, all the bobbers create 2 per truck.Heck ,I have 2 extra rear ends, plus 2 trucks waiting to be bobbed and I am small time in these things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks