• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

locked up multifuel 5 ton

Sunday I went to get a load of water and had a tire go flat I returned home and changed the flat maybe 1/2 a hour I went to start the truck and nothing just a sound of the solenoid clicking but nothing turning . the next day I replaced the starter and the same thing just clicking . I tried tonight to turn the motor over by turning the drive line between the transmission and transfer case with the transmission in low and high gear and the transfer case in neutral and it won't move . I drained the motor oil and the forward sump I found two split rings I had to pull them out with pliers . there was no other sighs of metal could these have come off of some thing to lock up my engine ? I have charged the batteries and not sure where to go next .

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pic is kinda blurry but it looks like a coil from a spring. Any signs of water in the oil? Look under the filler cap.

no water in the oil or milky oil on the filler cap . it is about as thick as a nickel and flat I though it was some kind of a snap ring . the bright mark was caused by rubbing some thing

If you could get a better up close pic might be able to tell more. The ends of the ring between the gap are they square and uniform or jagged as if they were broken or sheered? Do the ends of the ring have small holes that you would use a pair of Lock Ring pliers to compress them for installation?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the correct term is "wrist pin retainer" at least thats what it looks like to me.
While I haven't had a multifuel apart, I can't help but believe that a multifuel wrist pin is bigger in dia. than a nickle. I don't think thats it.

Best thing to do is pull the pan and have a look.

the ring was just larger then the drain plug hole in the pan so it out of shape from puling it out when I pulled the other ring it came out but was not found . thank you for the help Kenny

RANDYDIRT

Does the oil drain plug hole look altered or repaired? The reason I ask is that that piece looks like it may be part of a Heli-coil that could have been used to repair the oil pan.

Dirt

Today pulled the rocker boxes and the pan found the other ring still in the pan . these are the only two parts found .the top end is all where it should be nothing missing . is this what holds the wrist pin to the piston ? there was no other metal in the pan .

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of the piston c-clip, as you may be able to see it has holes for your snap ring tool. I really doubt this is your issue, as much racket would have occured as this was ingested through the engine. A much more likely scenario is you left the ignition on, and you have hydrostatic lock, which is where the in-tank pump forces diesel past the injectors and fills up the cylinders. Pull your injectors and see if your LDS frees up.

Attachments

thank you for the picture of the piston . I will work on the injectors next I would have thought that after a few days of seating if hydrostatic would have bleed out through the rings . I did not have the drive line out I had the transfer case in neutral . thank you both kenny

UP DATE the washer and split ring hold the idler gear for the oil pump on to its shaft . the gear can not come off the shaft it has been rubbing on the front cover and the oil pan . the end of the shaft has been damaged if I find these pasts in the pan again I will have to replace this shaft by pressing out . I pulled the injectors all good there . I pulled the radiator to be able to turn the engine over it turned fine . I put every thing back together and it fired up and runs fine I also took the ground cables off and cleaned where they mounted to the frame . they may have been my problem all a long . Kenny

no new bearing . but I will never try to turn a engine over by turning the jack shaft with a pipe wrench it's best to pull the radiator and turn the crank .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no new bearing . but I will never try to turn a engine over by turning the jack shaft with a pipe wrench it's best to pull the radiator and turn the crank .

Not says the TM's but if you want to go to all the trouble. I rather waste my time changing out the air in my tires.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks