• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long road trip, HMMWV-HMMWV towing advice

M1165A1

My neighbor and I will be driving our sister trucks - both M1165A1s - out to Moab for a bit of off roading. It's about a 300 mile trip (each way) for us.

We'll definitely be bringing tools and a few key spares but I wanted to be prepared for one of the trucks going down.

Which makes me wonder . . . what's the optimal way to tow HMMWV to HMMWV?

Obviously if it happens off road we'll just use a tow strap and get back to civilization. But if it happens on a highway I am wondering if there is an optimal towing strategy between the trucks.

Would the IBIS Tek tow bar be a good solution? I always thought that was for towing a HMMWV behind an FMTV as opposed to another HMMWV. Using a tow strap on actual roads isn't the safest way to go.

Appreciate any thoughts from the group. Photo of the truck superfriends below.

The Vs.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On road?

Towbar and safety chains. Medium towbar preferred, but Ibis tech ok for a HMMWV.

Probably not something i want to be doing for the first time under emergency conditions. Consider a rollback flatbed wrecker.

M1165A1

On a side note, hows the Turret been holding up as far as any leaking?
What doesn't leak on a HMMWV? But the turret has been firstrate, like all your work ;). It was an attention getter in the winter when my son rode on the sling driving around town.

Stay tuned for some turret action pics from this coming summer, it will be used for its intended purpose shortly.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forward momentum of rear vehicle pushes a lever forward. That lever is connected with a wire to the brake pedal.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will require a lot of force with no power assist. I am intrigued.
A three ton plus vehicle decelerating creates a bit of force. More than enough to depress the brake pedal. It really makes pulling and stopping a heavy vehicle much more comfortable and manageable.

Last edited:

M1165A1

A three ton plus vehicle decelerating creates a bit of force. It really makes pulling and stopping a heavy vehicle much more comfortable and manageable.

Seems interesting but won't it lock up the brakes in rain or snow? As it is my HMMWV wants to fishtail every time I brake on less than dry pavement. A surge brake like this hitting the pedal hard could create a real issue?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eh I would personally prefer the Ibis Tek. Who has time to rig up cables on the side of the interstate? Call SECO and have them send you one.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems interesting but won't it lock up the brakes in rain or snow? As it is my HMMWV wants to fishtail every time I brake on less than dry pavement. A surge brake like this hitting the pedal hard could create a real issue?
Eh I would personally prefer the Ibis Tek. Who has time to rig up cables on the side of the interstate? Call SECO and have them send you one.
Ibis tech is fine BUT if you drive smart these units are amazing. If you drive with rabbit starts and stops you might have issues.

I drove 5000 miles round trip AND I loved it. Drive carefully, and don’t do stupid things. Pulling anything is potentially finicky BUT I’d rather pull something behind me with all four of its wheels on the ground with its brakes assisting to limit risk of jack knife.

Ibis without rear vehicle braking is at increased risk of jack knife. It is the rear vehicle momentum that causes the jack knife. Ready-brake activating the rear vehicle brakes diminishes the risk of jack knife. The rear vehicle doesn’t push as much downhill and it makes the drive feel like you’re pulling 1/5 the weight.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a little video about the ReadyBrake

I wonder what states they are talking about where towed vehicle must have supplemental braking
Well heck, looks like all but Missouri

Last edited:

Action

Here is a little video about the ReadyBrake

I wonder what states they are talking about where towed vehicle must have supplemental braking
Well heck, looks like all but Missouri

“drill a hole through your firewall”
And install a civilian hitch on both hmmwv, because you dont know which one will be towed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks