• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a Local M923A1: Need Advice

FlyingKat316

There is a local M923A1 ISO mod truck for sale. I saw it in person yesterday, and generally it's in good shape. Has a haldex canister type air dryer, troop seats, drop side beds. Engine plate states std, and .010 main. Rebuilt 2003. Mwo plates show approx 2006-2008 as last known date it was in military hands.

Interior of cab is very very poor in terms of seats and such. Front axle air lines should be replaced as they're dry rotted. Light switch is faulty. The current owner didn't know much about it and wasn't maintenance heavy with it, so it'll need filters fluids and some minor stuff. The cab cover is falling apart and missing most hardware. I'd probably swap it to a hard top. The tires are by far the worst I've seen in a while. Sidewall cracking and cracking across the surfaces.

I am in the Army, and am an ordnance soldier. I have a decent background on mil vehicles and their systems.

My main concern I have is, moving it when I eventually PCS. I'm worried about it failing on me between here and wherever I'm going next. I'm wondering if people on here in the military like theirs, and think it's worth having?

He's asking $8k currently.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ISO bed trucks are usually USMC and have lockers so that can be a bonus for you. Tires are out there reasonable if you change to the current 395's on the lmtv's. One of our members @fuzzytoaster has a new soft top in the classifieds. 3 lever light switches are out there reasonable also.

I would go for it but negotiate on price :)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The price is reasonable but be looking for rust in the cab areas and around windshield. Make sure it runs good and the transmission is doing what its supposed to. Make sure that your drive the truck for a bit to at least bring everything up to operating temp and you should hear the air purge blow a couple times as its warming up. Check the radiator for any wet spots and check the coolant to make sure its ONLY coolant in the system. I would before you start the truck check the dipstick oil looking for anything not correct, along with transmission dipstick looking for the same. You are going to have to figure a couple thousand dollars for tires and new top and all the fluids and filters. Look it over before you fire the engine and drive keeping and ear and an eye out for possible issues.
Good luck!

FlyingKat316

The price is reasonable but be looking for rust in the cab areas and around windshield. Make sure it runs good and the transmission is doing what its supposed to. Make sure that your drive the truck for a bit to at least bring everything up to operating temp and you should hear the air purge blow a couple times as its warming up. Check the radiator for any wet spots and check the coolant to make sure its ONLY coolant in the system. I would before you start the truck check the dipstick oil looking for anything not correct, along with transmission dipstick looking for the same. You are going to have to figure a couple thousand dollars for tires and new top and all the fluids and filters. Look it over before you fire the engine and drive keeping and ear and an eye out for possible issues.
Good luck!
Thats fair, rusty coolant or dieselly smelling oil can be bad signs. I didn't see any leaks except the rocker box or valve cover. The truck was parked when I saw it and there was a small hand sized spot under the engine pan. He hadn't driven it in a while. I'd want to get it warm to check somethings like tranny shifting through 1-5 etc and low/high ranges. I know the PTO line is not attached to the pump.

FlyingKat316

Common for USMC trucks to be equipped for a winch but not installed. Does it have the controls?
Post pics
I'll get pics when I go test drive it this weekend. When I saw it in person the other day it was later, and there was confusion so I forgot to take some. Has the PTO controls and the PTO is present underneath. It appears the cable is damaged that actuates the PTO valve and would need to be replaced. No winches so the PTO isn't entirely necessary unless a winch were added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks