• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Smaller Deuce Steering Wheel

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I am looking for some help in locating a smaller diameter steering wheel for my deuce.
I had to remove the driver's side seat back in order to be able to raise my left leg enough to work the clutch and brake pedals ( I'm 6'8").

There also wasn't enough room between the steering wheel and the driver's door because of the placement of the handles.

But if I could find a smaller diameter steering wheel I could place my knees on either side of the wheel like when I drive my Spyder.

But if can't find a replacement I will continue with an earlier idea of stretching the cab length by a foot or so.

Suggestions as to a replacement or the number of splines on the M35A2's wheel would be most appreciated.

Thanx

devilman96

This subject comes up in post about every 4 months or so... because of that I keep thinking this is another one of those items worth producing in the not so distant future...

I pulled my steering column and installed a tilt wheel set up from a camaro after adding power steering to increase the comfort of the truck... My only 5'11"... At 6'8" I don't know how you drive the thing!! lol

Unfortunately when it comes to wheels your not going to find any easy answers... There's nothing thats made which will bolt to the column so you have 3 choices... Machine the shaft to fit something else... Machine an adapter (I was going to do this but its a pain) or cut the wheels center out and make it into an adapter of sorts...

I know that's not the answer you were looking for but its where the subject falls to... A cab stretch isn't a bad idea, I've thought that if I were to build another monster it would be my starting point of the project...

pa.rich

A cab strech would be alot of work, but I like the idea of a smaller wheel. If the stock one was cut at the spokes, and a smaller outer ring welded in and one of those leather covers put on, ...... hmmmmmm. I am gonna try it.
How about a peterbuilt cab and paint it O.D.?Alrite, dont throw anything at me.For you bodyworkers, If I lost the spare tire rack behind the cab, theres plenty of room for the stretch!Oh if I was retired, the projects I would be doing.The back of a '48 Gmc 5 window cab, would look great with those curved corner windows.I dont know about the width though. Just a pipe dream.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
devilman96,

I was figuring that the steering wheel problem was going to wind up involving a lot of work to fix.
Thank you for confirming my fears.
I hadn't thought of welding a deuce center into another steering wheel. Great idea.
Machining a spline would definitely be to involved for me.

I followed your thread on the work you did on your Deuce upgrade.
I was quite inspired. Great work.

You have given me a great starting point on my fix.

Thanx, much appreciated.

comdiver

I think I was told that the 5 ton was smaller and would fit. The problem is with the smaller wheel you need power steering or lots of personal power steering (big arms).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another consideration is seats. The box seat gives much more room and sits lower. You can make adjustments with the seat cushion thickness. John Tennis also makes a shortened steering shaft for those of us who are horizontally superior. The 5 ton wheel is smaller and will fit. Spring seats are bad for taller people but can be greatly improved by taking out about 60% of the thickness.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, thought I was the 6'8" guy here. I also considered streching the cab a foot or so. Right now I am looking at modifying the spring seat, or putting in a box seat. Be nice to drive and not be staring at the wiper motor. The steering wheel hasn't been an issue, It is really close thou.

Dennis

Last edited:

pa.rich

I really dont want to butcher anything up but with the easy steering I have a smaller wheel would be nice and if the next guy doesnt like it he can put the original back on.I guess my size makes it difficult to enter and exit the cab.

M215

5 ton steering wheel

Hello quarkz,
I have a NOS 5 ton steering wheel available for $25 + shipping if you are interested. I purchased it by mistake for my XM215 dump truck, let me know.
Karl

jwaller

RE: 5 ton steering wheel

5 ton wheel will give you a lot more room but you will need the arm's of popeye to turn the truck.

nickd

I was also tired of seeing the windshield whiper motor. There is a kit to change the whipers using a center mounted 24V electric motor same as the 900 series that eliminated those rotten air operated wipers I had. I changed my steering wheel to the 900 series wheel before I put in the air assist steering. The smaller wheel is nice for the room but was a work out to turn but the air assisted steering was the answer. I also cut a coil out of the spring in the spring seat to give me a lower profile in the cab as I am 6'6" tall.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well a steering wheel off of a 5 ton doesn't work on a M35A2.
Tried it today. the center hole was to small.
But the 7/8 -14 fine thread castle nut with nylon insert threaded onto the shaft just fine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just cut and splice the inner shaft of the column with a shaft that uses a smaller wheel. Probably aftermarket?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
STEERING

as mentioned the wheel from a 800 series fits perfectly and is considerably smaller. if you are mechanicly inclined converting to hyd power steering is easy and much cheaper than air assist. also easier to steer. i can convert a truck for about $700 in parts plus my time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks