• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for *exact* tools used to remove mechanical fuel pump bolts.

Squibbly

Hello all. New to the forum. I've got an M1009 in need of a fuel pump replacement.
I got the pump out using a 7/16 (11 mm) 1/4 inch short socket, swivel (with electrical tape wrapped around it to give it rigidity), ratchet, and the finger of a rubber glove stretched over the opening of the socket to lock it onto the hard to get at bolt.

Bloody knuckles and one click at a time on the ratchet, and 1.5 hours later I finally had the pump out (as well as a broken hard line, but that was something I knew was cracked as well as the pump leaking..hence the change).

I've read on this forum that it is a hassle to get the pump out, and it is, but was wondering if anyone has figured out an easier way to get the job done, and what "specific" setup you use to get that rear bolt out.
If this needed to be swapped out fast, its near impossible. I had to hold the ratchet between my thumb and pointer, straighten out my other three fingers while tilting my hand at a 45 to avoid the exhaust manifold bolt that is conveniently there to cut your hand, just to get my hand in there. I have to imagine someone with a fatter hand than me is going to have more issues.

I'm thinking of welding another bolt to the end of the existing bolt to bring it out past the top of the fuel pump so I can get a ratcheting wrench on the end of that side to make it easier for next time. Anyone done anything like this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

LT67

** make sure you have the correct lift pump so you do not have to do it twice. Delphi CHFP906 is the correct lift pump. MF30030 is not the correct pump even the parts houses will tell you it is...

Squibbly

** make sure you have the correct lift pump so you do not have to do it twice. Delphi CHFP906 is the correct lift pump. MF30030 is not the correct pump even the parts houses will tell you it is...
I did get one from NAPA that was wrong, but realized it before I changed it, and ordered the correct one.

I still haven't put the new one in, because I need to make a new hard line as the one in there had a pin hole and was leaking. That's goingto be fun, but I suppose I would have needed to redo the intake gasket at some point anyways. 😶

Last edited:

Squibbly

I'm wondering if when building the new hard line, if it wouldn't make *more* sense to make a short pipe that is flared on one side that goes into the fuel pump, and give the other side of that short piece of pipe a swedge for a short section of rubber fuel line to connect to. Let the rubber fuel line make the bend upwards to another hard line swedge, and then all hard line till the back of the intake manifold like it currently is.

I'm thinking with all the trouble people have with removing that hard line from the fuel pump, if this solution wouldn't solve the "non-flexibility" issue, and make changing the fuel pump out a bit faster if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks