• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for info on strange ammo box

Guruman

Not so new member
Back in the day, circa, 2000, my local military surplus store had bunch of white metal ammo boxes with feet on each side for bolting it down.

I bought several over the years to use on various vehicles as they were perfect for bolting to the front bumper of a Jeep for storing chains, shackles and straps.

I was told they came from the interior of a tank or armored vehicle of some kind.

I have not seen any in years, and no web search seems to even conjure a picture of one.

Anyone know what these came from or how to locate any more? Here's a pic of one painted to match the Jeep I had at the time.

fr_box.JPG

Guruman

Not so new member
Is there a part # or NSN anyplace on the box?
Unknown. I have not seen one in twenty years, and since I cannot find any other pictures or info on them, I'm kind of stuck.

I was king of hoping someone who has been around tanks or armored vehicles would recognize it. I knew it was a long shot.

In searching last night, I seem to recall that it might have been for .30 cal rounds for a machine gun, possibly linked or belt fed rounds, but the guy at the Army/Navy store might have been just making things up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks