• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Mighty Mite info/value

flattop68

Ran across this M422A1 that was offered to me for $1000. Just from reading the Mighty Mite posts on here, I have learned a little bit and know that they are not too many around. Due to a rusted out exhaust y pipe, truck has been sitting for 6 years now. I did check, and the engine does turn freely. Odometer reads 2,599 and the current owner has had it since the early 70's. Do not think that I will do a full restoration. At minimum, I will replace the y pipe, seats, tires, windshield glass, and try to find a tailgate. Mainly just get it drivable. Just looking for info from those who know... Is it worth investing the money and time?? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would drop a grand on that in 1 second. Looks like a perfect candidate to preserve and save.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have bought it by now, and if not PM me the address and it'll be gone!;)

flattop68

Picked it up today. Aired the tires up, scrubbed off the crud, and rolled it in the garage. Will be looking for parts real soon... drivers side y pipe, tailgate, seats, tires, etc. Due to the response, I feel good about my new project. Thanks.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd take it off your hands if you decide it's a poor investment:D
Great score! Why can't I find sweet deals like that.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

I've worked with Ron Alred. He is a true Southern gentleman. Mite parts are drying up fast. There are a few items that are M series standard, but most of the vehicle is unique.

Flattop - You picked up that Mite for a great price! Good score! :grin: It looks like your new Mite is a 422A1 with an original windshield frame. I'm impressed that the windshield frame is in good shape. They typically are bent to heck and are hard to find in good condition. My wife's Mite is an early M422 with a M38A1 windshield.

I'm also impressed that the body is in such good condition. When the aluminum skin gets dented, it stretches and is very hard to get it back into shape.

Ron might have the correct seat pans. You may have to locate an upholsterer to refoam and recover the pans. Ron may have a tailgate also.

Are you planning on pulling the engine and transmission and rebuilding them?

Please post more pictures if you can! :grin:

flattop68

Thanks again to all of you for the info... very helpful and informative. I plan on spending some time looking it over this weekend to get a better list on anything I may need. At that point, I will give Mr Alred a call. Also, I will roll it back outside and take a few more pics to post on here.
ODFever, I will probably just get it back running first. If there is an issue with the engine, or when time allows, I will pull the engine and tear it down.
sigo, I just got lucky on this one. A female neighbor of mine stopped by last week and told me that she had an elderly aunt with an old "Military Jeep" she needed to sell because she was about to relocate. Since I have a Deuce, she figured I would be interested. Once I seen it wasn't just a Jeep... Lucky me!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flattop - You are very blessed to have a nice Mite like that fall into your lap!! Please talk to Mr. Alred before you fire up the Mite. If you can, try to get your hands on a bore scope. The cylinder walls are chrome plated over air cooled aluminum jugs. Since the Mite has not been running and sat outside for such a long time, the chrome plating may have peeled off. Ron might know how to check the plating without a bore scope. You might have to drop the oil pan. Also, there are about 100 seals and gaskets in the engine. They may have dry rotted or just fallen apart due to age. I never tore my engine down, but a friend of mine had to rebuild his. He told me it reminded him of a VW air cooled.

I'm not trying to scare you. Please learn as much as you can about these awesome vehicles before you start turning wrenches. I absolutely love my wife's Mite, and I'm thankful she lets me drive it! (I maintain it so I earn the privilege!!!)

flattop68

ODFever, Thanks for the heads up. I have a friend with a bore scope. I will see if I can get my hands on it this weekend. If it doesn't look good, I will pull the engine. Either way, I will call Mr. Alred first. So far, I have found no evidence of moisture in the engine. Oil is clear, no condensation on any internal part that can be accessed (dipstick, etc.) Even if everything looks good, I am sure it will leak since it has been sitting so long. Either way, I may need to go through the engine. Sure it will be a fun project. The more I tinker with it and learn about it, the more I want to do to it. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks