• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for parts list and advice for rebuilding the brakes

Loco_Hosa

I had a wheel cylinder blow out on my deuce, thankfully I was in a parking lot, there was no one and no objects harmed. I found a forum member who towed me home and all was ultimately well. Since I have had one fail, I aught to pull off all six drums and inspect them all.

That was one of the scariest moments in my life, loosing all the brake pressure at once.

I am planning to do this all at once, (Possibly at the Washington mini rally this month?) and need to make sure I have all the parts I will need. Here is what I know of:

Axle Flange gaskets x 6

Wheel cylinder rebuild kits x 6 LINK

Big socket needed for the removal of the drum x 6 (Size and where to buy?)

Quantity of Dot 5 (How much, and where to buy inexpensively?)

A few stronger people than I who can man handle the brake drums and tires

Some beer for said people.

Other things I am forgetting.....?

I have inspected the rubber soft lines, they appear to be in good shape. Should I replace them anyway?

Loco_Hosa

Almost forgot!

Are new brake shoes available at Napa? How much do they cost?

I dont want to order these online, since I dont know how many sets I will need. I would rather order 4 sets to napa, and return the ones I end up not needing....

dozer1

Unknown factors- are your wheel cylinder bores free of rust pits? if not, the kits won't hold for long.

Master cyl condition. ect. For your rebuild tho I think ya better bring along a couple of new wheel cylinders in case you need em. Or just do it at home and order them only if you need em.

scoutmanadam

you can get the soft lines cheap off of certain auction sites, i payed i think 30 for mine. i payed 30 a piece for new wheel cylenders from a member on here so they can be had fairly cheaply. i would also rebuild your master as the kit is economical. i think i payed 35 a piece for brake pads, my local auto part stores did not carry them so i had to order them. i would replace everything that you can while you are at it so everything is in new condition.

hoop

Big socket needed for the removal of the drum x 6 (Size and where to buy?)

x6 is an overkill. 1 will work on all.:mrgreen:

jasonjc

Well if you are taking the drums off you mite want to replace the seals at the same time. The socket as said above, a member is selling for a good price unless you get a big discount at a parts store. Get/make a presure bleeder (recovery 4X4 type) use it to fluse all the lines real good using denatured alcohol. You can get this at a home improvment store by the gal. I have two bleeder one with DOT 5 and one for the alcohol, but I have more than one truck to take care of. If you plan on doing this in a weekend you should plan to have a few new wheel cyclinder. They may be to rusted to rebuild. You will also need a brake cyclinder hone, to hone out the old ones before you put the new kits in them.

shenkmen

Since your replacing everything, I would replace the soft lines as well.
It's a very good idea to replace these. Mine were cracking.

The available replacement NOS lines I found were many years old as per the date on the hoses. Two I came across were older than the DOT requirement to have the date stamped on the lines.

Because of the above I took my old soft lines to a local hydraulic hose shop and had a brand new set made. I know some folks won't agree with this approach but I like to do things the best way possible. It didn't cost that much more and my shop offers a discount when you order two or more of the same.

The military updated the front lines to a slightly longer version so make sure you account for this as well.

I don't remember the answers for the other stuff you've asked about but they have been covered on other threads. Sorry.

Cheers.

Loco_Hosa

It's a very good idea to replace these. Mine were cracking.

The available replacement NOS lines I found were many years old as per the date on the hoses. Two I came across were older than the DOT requirement to have the date stamped on the lines.

Because of the above I took my old soft lines to a local hydraulic hose shop and had a brand new set made. I know some folks won't agree with this approach but I like to do things the best way possible. It didn't cost that much more and my shop offers a discount when you order two or more of the same.

The military updated the front lines to a slightly longer version so make sure you account for this as well.

I don't remember the answers for the other stuff you've asked about but they have been covered on other threads. Sorry.

Cheers.
I have a fantastic local hydraulic shop that has made awesome brake lines for my motorcycle in the past. Why would people not agree with this course of action?

I inspected my lines, they all seemed to be in good shape, no cracks or anything, but I dont know if that the whole story or if they can "Look and feel fine" but still be compromised.

Im starting to think that I should just put the truck project off till I manage to move and then do it over 2 or 3 weekends. I just cant do that kind of project at my current residence.

bones1

I have just replaced all wheel cylinders,seals,shoes and hoses. I have installed the rear hoses and was ready to install the front when I saw a mfg date of 8/84 stamped on the hoses. The ones on the truck now are stamped 11/97. One looks fine and the drivers side has a deep rub on it. What would do..use the 84 hoses, they look new, sealed in plastic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks