• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looky what I got!

blackhueys

I found this on ebay and bought it for 600.00 U.S. can you believe it! anyone with any pics of this system installed or anyone with any info let me know what you know. Looks like i will be needing to get a few more things for it but it is almost complete!

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ebay links go dead after the auction. Please copy the pictures and post them, not the link.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The arctic kit comes with 2 heaters, one for the engine and one for the interior and battery boxes. It is mainly meant for temps below zero as diesel engines are hard to start when it's really cold. The heater for the engine warmed the engine coolant and oil along with the transmission oil pan. They are really handy in Alaska when you have the truck out in the field and it drops down to 40 to 50 below. Do they do much in the lower 48? Well, that depends on where you live and how cold it gets. :)

The second heater keeps the batteries warm so they don't lose cranking power from the extreme cold and also heats the interior at the same time. For an M1009 the full arctic heater kit includes a blanket that goes over the top of the back of the truck along with patterns for cutting out wood panels for additional insulation.

But yes, they do have a heater. But that only works once the engine is up and running and has warmed up. But even it doesn't work all that well when the temps are really cold.

I used to own an M1009 in Alaska and would have loved an arctic heater kit.

Ruppster

Sasquatch

I posted some pics in this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/61625-m1008-arctic-winterization-kit.html

I've got the Interior/Battery heater and it works awesome, not sure how much battery power it draws to run it, instructions say to only use the interior heater after the engine is running, but it heats up quick!

Let me know if you need more pics of one installed. Did your kit come with the insulated battery boxes?

On the resources section of the old site there was an Arctic Winterization Kit Installation Manual, but I think the sites down again. Maybe someone has a copy they could email.

Lucky! I picked up a spare heater a few years back, been looking for the rest of the kit. $600 was a little too hard for me to justify; it really doesn't get much below zero F here.

blackhueys

no I did not get the oil/trans pans or the battery boxes. Would be nice if anyone wants to share what they might have as extras I am willing to pay. Looks like I need the electric fuel pump and the fuel lines but that is easy to get from a local parts place. Sasquatch on your electric fuel pump can you see any technical info like pump voltage or psi? going to need to know what psi it works at. thanks again everybody.

jwaller

The seller just posted another kit like this on ebay here is the link for it

remove this now!!! It is not allowed and this is exactly why I did not mention his name!!!

It's not your job to inform others about things they can't find for themselves.

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by blackhueys
The seller just posted another kit like this on ebay here is the link for it

www.ebay.com (link edited by Ruppster)
remove this now!!! It is not allowed and this is exactly why I did not mention his name!!!

It's not your job to inform others about things they can't find for themselves.
Am I the only one that sees the irony of this post?

Sorry, just had to ask. :)

Ruppster

blackhueys

ok everybody I was only looking for info on my artic heaters and install advise! If you want to say this and that about this and that fine but please not in my post. I am only looking for info on what I asked for not personal opinions. Info on the heaters only thanks really hard to get the info if I have to search my own post for it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's food for though...

In the future, anyone doing a search for CUCV arctic heaters, others will look at the results of a search and see "looky what I got".

This thread could be a great reference and documentation of your installation.

Please consider using descriptive titles too.

Also, i know one guy that broke his windshield with the very hot temp that those heaters put out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please be sure to include a link to this thread too, then.

Sasquatch

I'm going to have to search and see where the actual fuel pump is located, I didn't see it when I quickly glanced under the hood, but I'll take a better look later.

They do pump out a lot of heat, if your using the defroster, make sure you get any rock chips in your windshield repaired or they will spread quick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks