• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost all lights - scary!

armytruck63

Last night my wife and I were out for a ride in the M38A1. We were on a rural road going down hill about 45 MPH, running with the high beams on because there were no cars in sight. Suddenly, and without warning, I lost the headlights and dash lights. :shock: There was no moon out and things turned pitch black instantly.

Luckily, this happened on a straight stretch of road and I could see just enough using the four-way flashers (which still worked) to see the edge of the road and pull over.

We had been running high beams for about 10 minutes, so I suspect that something got hot. Isn't there a circuit breaker as part of the three lever switch?

I cycled the switch completely off and on and got lights again. We drove the rest of the way home on low beams.

Just one of those rare emergencies you never think about...

Bill W

Same thing happens to me when I run highbeams on my deuce. I suspect the thermal fuse in the light switch is weak

Barrman

Time for a new 3 lever. The head light power out goes to the selector switch on the floor. That is where hi or low beam is determined. Make sure the connections there are good before you throw out the 3 lever, but it sure seems like the 3 lever is the problem.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats why I carry a spare 3 lever in all my trucks. Never know when they will go bad. Imagine driving on the highway and not being visible to the 18 wheelers!

Had the same thing happen to me in one of my M915A1's pulling my M871 trailer.
Pitch black been running several hours after dark, I got into the mountains and it
started to get alittle cool so i flipped on the heater switch to high and within a few seconds
I was completely in the dark! Oh man, I pulled over on the shoulder as much as I could tell anyway, and flipped on the hazards. Turned off the heater and all the lights came back on.
And I was able to continue on my way. A real eye openner!!!

12Bravo

I had the high/low switch go out on a M818 while in a convoy at night. Hit a bump and no headlights, hit another bump and lights back on. Check both the 3 lever switch and the high/low switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks