• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lower profile tire idea

Poolboy 7631

Anyone run a lower profile tire on a LMTV? My desire is to lower the overall height of the vehicle to make it more feasible to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler, even a couple of inches will help. I know it will slow down an already slow vehicle but with high speed gears I think I will get what I need. When I get this plan to fruition I plan on not needing to get anywhere in a hurry. Also something like some of the super singles I have seen may lessen some of the road noise. The plan would be to switch back to "stock" LMTV tires when appropriate. Let me know what you think.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any response that is relevant or helpful, but I wanted to say that I like your screen name! My next (or the one after) German Shepherd will be named Poolboy (the next will be Holly)! My wife is hesitant to get another dog (we've always had German Shepherds) because of the feeling of loss when you lose the dog. She told me I can get a dog if I she can get a poolboy to take care of the pool we don't have (she wants a pool). I told her, "Let's just get a dog and name him Poolboy." She loved the idea! So, our next male Shepherd will be named Poolboy!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone run a lower profile tire on a LMTV? My desire is to lower the overall height of the vehicle to make it more feasible to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler, even a couple of inches will help. I know it will slow down an already slow vehicle but with high speed gears I think I will get what I need. When I get this plan to fruition I plan on not needing to get anywhere in a hurry. Also something like some of the super singles I have seen may lessen some of the road noise. The plan would be to switch back to "stock" LMTV tires when appropriate. Let me know what you think.
You can use a 385 65 22.5 or 425 65R22.5 all the way around on single budd wheels. The L318 is a mean tire

365 80s and 365 85r20s would work
If you wanted to keep stock wheels

If you don't have high speed gears you will loose lots of speed

I think @Ambeihl had some 365s in Louisville awhile back.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of the smaller 365/80R20s, at 43" O.D., like these...

Just keep in mind that those are MPT tires, which cannot be mounted on your stock wheels - unless they were modified to MPT specs, which is doable... (been there, done it...)

On the other hand, 365/85R20 would fit well on your wheels, but the difference in diameters is only about 1" less, compared to the 395s

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think 385s or 425s would be the better bet than 365s The 425s come in Michelin XZL . But the Bridgestone L318s are mean and last a good while. You would have to keep em rotated with the AwD though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks