• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LQ9 6.0 LS engine

LS1Humvee

First time posting on this site. Originally bought the HMMWV pretty cheap with a blown engine the day after Christmas two years ago. My son and I built this last year father son project and originally put an LS1 5.7 engine in it to have fun last summer . Only took us 4 weeks to build. That included fabricating everything from engine mounts to four man roof,seats,and panels. We had a lot of fun but wanted more power and a four speed trans and 2wd for on the road. So this winter we put the 6.0 that we built . My son was 13 and did the wiring, structural, and engine work . He learned alot and enjoyed every minute of it , both times lol. So anyway, we did this project with out much money involved . We parted a truck out to get the engine and make a few bucks to put into the HMMWV. More of a teaching moment for me to my son to show him you can build anything you want instead of paying big$$$. I know it’s not an original military vehicle now but it’s the way we wanted it .
2005 LQ9 6.0
218/224 110LSA cam
TBSS intake
Shorty headers 3” exhaust
4l65e Raptor built trans
NP261 transfer case
EBC brakes
Homemade 4 speed-T/C shifters
Homemade aluminum4 man conversion
Homemade bed rack with crane
Homemade jack-rails
VW Jetta vinyl folding seats

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First time posting on this site. Originally bought the HMMWV pretty cheap with a blown engine the day after Christmas two years ago. My son and I built this last year father son project and originally put an LS1 5.7 engine in it to have fun last summer . Only took us 4 weeks to build. That included fabricating everything from engine mounts to four man roof,seats,and panels. We had a lot of fun but wanted more power and a four speed trans and 2wd for on the road. So this winter we put the 6.0 that we built . My son was 13 and did the wiring, structural, and engine work . He learned alot and enjoyed every minute of it , both times lol. So anyway, we did this project with out much money involved . We parted a truck out to get the engine and make a few bucks to put into the HMMWV. More of a teaching moment for me to my son to show him you can build anything you want instead of paying big$$$. I know it’s not an original military vehicle now but it’s the way we wanted it .
2005 LQ9 6.0
218/224 110LSA cam
TBSS intake
4l65e Raptor built trans
NP261 transfer case
EBC brakes
Homemade jack-rails
Welcome to the Outfit!

I would bet you that your boy will remember that project for the rest of his life... Looks like you have done a lot of neat stuff with your truck - and there are plenty here that have had power plant upgrades. We don't have a lot of "all original snobs" here. Folks here are just happy to see MV's that found new homes.

Anyhow, welcome to the group and when you get a chance to take her out in the woods, snap us up a round of Adventure Pictures too. You guys built an awful nice vehicle!

INFChief

2005 LQ9 6.0
218/224 110LSA cam
TBSS intake
4l65e Raptor built trans
NP261 transfer case
EBC brakes
Homemade jack-rails
I’m a purist but what someone does with their vehicle is their business. That said; WOW! What a fantastic job! You both should be very proud!!!!

LS1Humvee

Thank you guys for the warm welcome.
I have three sons and I’m just glad one of them likes to work and build stuff with me . We really don’t have that much money invested in the truck just a lot of time. Everything we fabricated was from scrap metal we had acquired .
the cost to build the roof, panels, jack rails,the bed rack , spare tire carrier all zero $$$$. I found the bed cover panels on the side of the road and riveted them together and put gas struts on it to open nicely . The rear window is a slider and quick latches to remove all together that I got from a truck bed cap someone was giving away . Anyway , it has been really fun and we can’t wait to take it out on some trails and will definitely be posting some pics.

MattNC

Thats a really cool build. I like several ideas I think I'll steal and try on my own restomod'd hmmwv. I really like the hoist as well. The engineer in me would like to see the turnbuckle in tension so I might try it cantelever style with the arm hanging off the back and the turnbuckle on the backside. Really cool ideas and projects

LS1Humvee

Thats a really cool build. I like several ideas I think I'll steal and try on my own restomod'd hmmwv. I really like the hoist as well. The engineer in me would like to see the turnbuckle in tension so I might try it cantelever style with the arm hanging off the back and the turnbuckle on the backside. Really cool ideas and projects
Thank you , here are a few more pics . Again this was just scrap stuff I’ve collected over the years that were being thrown out . So the turn buckle was just welded in place for strength . Of course my sons had to try it out with my helicopter rescue hoist harness to test it out 😀

Attachments

MattNC

I really like how the hoist stores away! I was loading a spare last night before I head to the rally in Denton nc and I had to use a front end loader or in the past a ramp.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice but how are you keeping it cool? because it does not draft well conventional wisdom says electric fans not enough..

LS1Humvee

Yes the cooling I did 160 thermostat and twin electric fans. I did remove the combination cooler in front of the radiator for better airflow. When I have the LS1 in it last summer we had no cooling issues . I only removed the combo in front to assist with better flow when I did the LQ9 because I had it all out again anyway.

Agelai

Get some
You're a mad man, I LOVE IT.

I'm working on doing an LS3 swap now, so far it seems straight forward.
But we're only beginning, all we have is the 6.5 ripped out.

Beau

2005 LQ9 6.0
TBSS intake

Working on the same swap, but I was having a hard time with interference with the cowl/windshield frame and the truck intake. I acquired an LS1 intake, but am not excited to loose a little low end torque… I’ve got some questions!!

1) I thought the TBSS intake was just as tall as the truck intake. Is it shorter or did you modify something else to clear the body? (Body lift?)

2) in one pic, it looks like there is a 3/8 aluminum spacer motor mount adapter, is this correct?

3) what did you do to move the transmission mount back?

4) did you modify the doghouse cover?

5) year range for the Jetta and a good pic or two would be great.

trying to get motivated to get this project moving again; any help will be greatly appreciated,

thanks,
Beau

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a retired Flight Engineer, I appreciate the aircraft seat track.

I still have four 8-foot strips in the garage.

EDIT to add: I also have a handful of tie-down fittings for the track, which made me notice the way you're using it isn't going to work, not as seat-track anyway.

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

Just got the vehicle this week so in cleanup phase. Was going to make Youtube channel to hep people but I think I'll just document on here. Will do a body lift so I can start the bumpers and cage then work on motor stuff. Trying to decide whether to buy a full wrecked vehicle or source all the motor tranny parts individually. Pros and cons to both

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks