• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lube on seals in split rim?

PowerstrokeNC

Anybody know what this is? Looks kinda like Vaseline.

Also looks like there is a bit of grease type substance between the mating surfaces of the two piece rim.

What have you guys been using for these 2 applications? thanks for the help.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These do have run flats, the rim face 'lube' is dark in color. The stuff on and under the gasket is white like Vaseline, also tacky.

Any idea what I can use as a substitute?
Not sure, I have only seen the black tar stuff on mraps with solid rubber run flats. There is a vendor on ebay that sells 2 caulking tubes with the hmmvw o ring in a kit. I think that is the black stuff.

I am not familiar with the other lube? Since it is an rubber oring, I would have to think of some sort of silicone maybe like dielectric grease but unsure of purpose?

goldneagle

Not sure, I have only seen the black tar stuff on mraps with solid rubber run flats. There is a vendor on ebay that sells 2 caulking tubes with the hmmvw o ring in a kit. I think that is the black stuff.

I am not familiar with the other lube? Since it is an rubber oring, I would have to think of some sort of silicone maybe like dielectric grease but unsure of purpose?
Actually its the color of Vaseline. I used it on my HMMWV run flats.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if it will mix with water. If so, it's probably a commercial version of 'slime' tire lube. I remember when we had the 10K forklift tires changed they had a five gallon bucket of what I thought was heavy wheel bearing grease being used to get the tires on the rims and sealed up. YMMV.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the FMTV wheels with the steel band type beadlock I use common wheel bearing grease, where the O-ring goes and around the studs.
And I'm certain that the stuff I found when disassembling them (probably for the first time in their whole service life) was also plain, thick grease.

When bolting the halves together the excess grease will squeeze out from in between the two mating surfaces, and filling every gap and space where otherwise moisture could enter and cause corrosion.

As lubricant Vaseline sure does the job, although it may not contain rust inhibitors.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks