• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug nut question??

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what the taper is on a stock lug nut for a deuce? And is it perfectly flat or does it have a bevel to it?

jimm1009

Lug Nuts

Those nuts are available from most big truck parts dealers.
I purchased two the other day for around $4.50 each but they were brand new. One front left and front right. The place I went to is a Kenworth dealer not that it make a difference. Just ask for Budd Wheel lug nuts left or right and front or rear. They also have the inner rear left and right too.
Jim

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See I've heard 82 degrees too and I guess I can't figure out where that measurement (angle) would be. 50 degrees sounds right. I've got plenty of stock deuce lug nuts but I was just wondering if they will work right with aftermarket rims if the taper on the rim is flat and the lug nut has a slight radius or bevel to it?

GoHot229

nopics
I think I know what your talking about, are the holes on your custom wheels the same size as duce lugnut holes ? got a picture of the wheel? What I think they were set up for was the lugnuts like Domestic 1 ton and 2 ton trucks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with Dirt71, he just did some -A3 wheels on the inside so that he could run the back ones reversed.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See I've heard 82 degrees too and I guess I can't figure out where that measurement (angle) would be. 50 degrees sounds right. I've got plenty of stock deuce lug nuts but I was just wondering if they will work right with aftermarket rims if the taper on the rim is flat and the lug nut has a slight radius or bevel to it?

So, according to comdiver's info the resulting angle for the wheel holes would be 49º (flat tapered). (See drawing)

Long time ago and without knowing of the existence of such tool I had made my own, for about 80º.
So far I've never had any issues with stock beveled nuts vs. aftermarket straight tapered ones...:wink:

Edit: Added a second drawing (already posted here), which shows how- and where exactly the lug nut makes contact with the wheel.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that picture, that explains where that angle came from. So is everyone with aftermarket rims that are straight cut tapered just using the stock lug nuts? Anyone have any problems with them not staying tight?

comdiver

That is a good drawing. If you draw an .875" R circle on top of the 82 degree chamfer I think you will only find a very small space between the ball and the flat cut at the ends. It would be good to retighten the lug bolts more often with the flat chamfer.

Last edited:

EulaVFD#620

This is slightly off topic, but I have to ask, why did they put left hand threads on all the lug nuts except the front right wheel? I was changing tires on one of the fire department's deuces, and it struck me as goofy, or are these deuces goofy, they are both the same, so I am assuming that all deuces are that way. And why would they use left hand threads to begin with?

620 out

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be left on driver's side, and all right on the passenger side. An early design to always have the nuts 'tighten' as it rolls forward. The thought was that they would come loose by themselves going the opposite way. Sounds like you had a rebuilt rear section, probably taken from the left side of another truck that was scrapped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks