• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 1082 BOWS AND TARP

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought i read some where in here that the 1083 bows and tarp/cover is the same one on the 1082 and does anyone know how tall from floor to the top or bows or how tall of a box/ what ever i could get loaded from the back?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, that is not correct. The M1083 cargo cover kit will fit an M1095 trailer. The M1078 cargo cover kit fits the M1082. Unfortunately, those kits are fairly rare (especially if you want camo) and expensive. I have one that I bought from another SteelSoldiers member. I am happy to have gotten it, but the kit cost me over $1K...plus shipping.

I am sorry I am not near my truck to take measurements.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, that is not correct. The M1083 cargo cover kit will fit an M1095 trailer. The M1078 cargo cover kit fits the M1082. Unfortunately, those kits are fairly rare (especially if you want camo) and expensive. I have one that I bought from another SteelSoldiers member. I am happy to have gotten it, but the kit cost me over $1K...plus shipping.

I am sorry I am not near my truck to take measurements.
Yea that make sence i only wish i could find one of the great white moby dick 1095 that wasnt 4 or 5 grand lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea that make sence i only wish i could find one of the great white moby dick 1095 that wasnt 4 or 5 grand lol
I wonder could you just paint a 1078 tarp with the same paint we use on the trucks?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wonder could you just paint a 1078 tarp with the same paint we use on the trucks?
Wonder if it could be built to match your truck - in metal.
Might be too heavy, but a set of Bows and sheet aluminum is an idea.
I have seen pictures of "hard top" trailers and cargo trucks...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do make vinyl paint. You could try that. Ask the people on this site...I know others have tried to paint vinyl and they could tell you how well it worked, and the good paint products.

HotRod5

I thought i read some where in here that the 1083 bows and tarp/cover is the same one on the 1082 and does anyone know how tall from floor to the top or bows or how tall of a box/ what ever i could get loaded from the back?
Good afternoon, New guy to the site. Been searching threads, filtering, etc.... Just bought an M105A, manufactured Aug 67. I'm looking for a source for the top bows and front rail.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good afternoon, New guy to the site. Been searching threads, filtering, etc.... Just bought an M105A, manufactured Aug 67. I'm looking for a source for the top bows and front rail.
Welcome to the group!

Lots of folks here with information and hopefully we can find you some trailer bows...
If nothing pops up here, try posting a thread in the "Classifieds" under Parts Wanted.

Again, welcome to the outfit. Post up a new thread about your new trailer and possibly what you intend to do with it. Maybe what you plan to pull it with and whatever - just to get you introduced to the group.

There are TM's (Technical Manuals) available here too. All the info on how to bleed brakes, how to install canvas and bows... All things useful about that particular trailer.

HotRod5

Welcome to the group!

Lots of folks here with information and hopefully we can find you some trailer bows...
If nothing pops up here, try posting a thread in the "Classifieds" under Parts Wanted.

Again, welcome to the outfit. Post up a new thread about your new trailer and possibly what you intend to do with it. Maybe what you plan to pull it with and whatever - just to get you introduced to the group.

There are TM's (Technical Manuals) available here too. All the info on how to bleed brakes, how to install canvas and bows... All things useful about that particular trailer.
Thank you Sir ! Retired Navy aircraft mechanic.. 77-95. I bought an M1028 last Friday. Found the M105A Tuesday and bought it. No big plans as of yet. I live in Texas on 12 acres. It'll come in handy. I have the tarp for it. Just looking to complete it's configuration with top bows and front rack. I could build them if I had to. Has already had the 7 blade trailer light conversion. The M1028 still has the 12 pin. Ordered a pig tail, 12 pin to 7 blade... Swapping the axle out with a Chevrolet Dually axle to run more common tires. Can't find anyone who will mess with split rims. These kids today have no clue....LOL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you Sir ! Retired Navy aircraft mechanic.. 77-95. I bought an M1028 last Friday. Found the M105A Tuesday and bought it. No big plans as of yet. I live in Texas on 12 acres. It'll come in handy. I have the tarp for it. Just looking to complete it's configuration with top bows and front rack. I could build them if I had to. Has already had the 7 blade trailer light conversion. The M1028 still has the 12 pin. Ordered a pig tail, 12 pin to 7 blade... Swapping the axle out with a Chevrolet Dually axle to run more common tires. Can't find anyone who will mess with split rims. These kids today have no clue....LOL
Well good deal!! You even have the front end of the equation. You hit the nail on the head. Split rims can be hard work, but they work. I remember that the guy who used to do the tire work could unseat a bead in a couple of minutes. Inflating was easy (for him) using the "cage" and I never saw it need to "contain" anything. Swapping out the axle to match your truck could be a big plus for sure!

I bought a set of bows and canvas this past weekend. It was for my 5-Ton, but I was thrilled to get it just by asking. Came out of Georgia and I met the guy who sold it to me about half way between there and North Carolina.

The aircraft repair skills you picked up in the Navy should help the wiring that bewilders non-military folks. That bundle of all white wire makes some people go completely insane! Glad you were able to retire and hopefully collect a regular check for your efforts!

HotRod5

Well good deal!! You even have the front end of the equation. You hit the nail on the head. Split rims can be hard work, but they work. I remember that the guy who used to do the tire work could unseat a bead in a couple of minutes. Inflating was easy (for him) using the "cage" and I never saw it need to "contain" anything. Swapping out the axle to match your truck could be a big plus for sure!

I bought a set of bows and canvas this past weekend. It was for my 5-Ton, but I was thrilled to get it just by asking. Came out of Georgia and I met the guy who sold it to me about half way between there and North Carolina.

The aircraft repair skills you picked up in the Navy should help the wiring that bewilders non-military folks. That bundle of all white wire makes some people go completely insane! Glad you were able to retire and hopefully collect a regular check for your efforts!
Great score on what you needed. Cut my teeth, and most of my fingers on F4 Phantoms. Worked on all Navy fast fighters going forward. Jet engine mechanic. Last aviation job I had was with Lockheed Martin on the F35 program. Senior Quality Engineer.... awesome job. New management came in and let all us SME's go....
It is what it is. Now I play with my classic car projects and now these military surplus units. I tell my wife, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke....LOL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great score on what you needed. Cut my teeth, and most of my fingers on F4 Phantoms. Worked on all Navy fast fighters going forward. Jet engine mechanic. Last aviation job I had was with Lockheed Martin on the F35 program. Senior Quality Engineer.... awesome job. New management came in and let all us SME's go....
It is what it is. Now I play with my classic car projects and now these military surplus units. I tell my wife, if I can't fix it, it ain't broke....LOL
I had an uncle who was stationed in Germany in the 70's. He worked on a lot of the early jets and I managed to get a lot of black and white recon prints of castles over there. His last job was working on RF-4 (I think they were C models possibly).

He served in the Air Force, and the image below was sewn onto his field jacket. (mine is a replica)

Phantom Phixer.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks