• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 134 minigun replica build, Terminator style

Lordragnar

Hey everybody, Im new to the forum and have been building military models and replicas for a long time. I ran across the M 134 thread a couple days ago and instead of hijacking that thread(which would be rude), thought I would start my own. A little background info, The General Electric minigun (7.62mm) is my all time favorite weapon. I fell in love with it when I saw it in Terminator II. I know all about the history and the development, as well as the practical impossibility of I being used as a non mounted weapon, but I just love the way this "sort of" fantasy gun looks. So, with all of this in mind, I set out to build the most accurate replica I could. I was going for total realism(of the modified movie prop, which was a modified g.e. M134). As stated in the other thread, its a tough build, having failed miserably on my first attempt, I spent a lot more time on this one, and I will finish this. I see a lot of them get started but never finished. Also, I feel I should let you know that this was all done using hand tools, eyeballing, and good old fashioned sweat and cursing. No bluprints, no fancy calipers, just plain old model and replica building experience and love of all things gatling.

First up, some pics of the prop basecoated in Valspar flat black, I will then go back and show yall some pics of the gun being built, just thought I would start off with something to get yall excited!mini38.jpgmini41.jpgmini25.jpgmini43.jpg

Lordragnar

Ok, so I hope that got someone out there excited, also please feel free to p.m. me with any questions or comments. This is one of the hardest prop guns to build, The carry handle is particularly frustrating. I don't know how to weld, so as stated before this was all hand cut and screwed together, then sheathed in polystyrene. I used a shower door handle I found on ebay to make the main carry handle. The rear trigger assembly is from my old M4 carbine(I collect real guns too, and on this forum, who doesn't? hah), which I cut the top off of and made the trigger group from some pvc and a switch from Lowes. All that sheet styrene was cut and glued and epoxied to death. I can say this, with wood interior, coated in epoxy, sheathed in styrene, makes for a very strong assembly, and it feels very solid. Did I mention that this prop was heavy as crap too? Anyway, here are some pics of the carry handle in progress.mini4.jpgmini3.jpgmini2.jpgmini1.jpg

Lordragnar

Ok, so the handle assembly attaches through some eye bolts that I thread some t style handles through to look like the mount pins from the real thing. I had a hard time finding good references for the weapon mounts, which I believe are actually the swivel u mount hard points, that some time ago when they were filming Terminator II and decided to modify the same minigun that was used in Predator(yup its the same minigun in Predator as the one used in Terminator) someone decided that instead of using the goofy M60 front underslung grip, that a chainsaw style mount would be cooler. Boy they were right! couple more pics of the gun in its bare pvc and plastic glory.

mini8.jpgmini9.jpgmini10.jpgmini11.jpg

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good! I remember seeing that Predator/T2 (I believe it was the same gun) live mini gun for sale about 14 or 15 years ago. It was listed at only about $200k. Got plans for your replica, or is it just for personal satisfaction?

Lordragnar

As you can see its a pvc and putty monster. To be fair to anyone who has attempted this type of build, Its been a little over a year since I started it. I had to take quite a long break from it. Its one of those things that you just get tired of halfway through or hit a point of burnout. For me it was after I finished the main body and started that nightmare of a carry handle. It wasn't until I saw the minigun in action on t.v that I thought, "you know what, Ima finish that thing, I want that bad boy hung on the wall of my living room." . . . .I have a very understanding girlfriend.

mini14.jpgmini13.jpgmini12.jpgmini15.jpgmini16.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless this gun is for mounting on a MV, we do not allow it here. The website owner does not allow gun discussion.

This is a MV site not a gun site.

I know this is a prop but the rules still apply.

By the way I do like your hard work.

Also you need to edit your profile and list at least your state of residence. It is also a site requirement. Charleston is not a state. ;-)

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Unless this gun is for mounting on a MV, we do not allow it here. The website owner does not allow gun discussion.

This is a MV site not a gun site.

I know this is a prop but the rules still apply.

By the way I do like your hard work.

Also you need to edit your profile and list at least your state of residence. It is also a site requirement. Charleston is not a state. ;-)
Welcome from VA. Nice work you got there.

I was signing on to follow you here, but good thought went into the site rules, so maybe this is not the right post for right now.

But don't pack-up and leave. Stay with us, and share more of what you got sometime. You're in the right spot.

Last edited:

Lordragnar

Well I was going to make a mounted version for a tripod I have. I didn't realize that non mounted props weren't appropriate for the "model and scale replicas" section. I figured any military model kits or scale replicas were appropriate. Sorry for the misstep. Thank you to all who commented positively. I really appreciate the support. I am a bit confused at the thought of restricting the model kit section, one could go on and on about dioramas that must contain a vehicle to belong here. Anyways, not trying to kick up dust so Ill leave you guys with some more pics then let it be. Maybe Ill be back when I do the "mounted version".

Oh and Its just a prop for personal satisfaction sigo :) just gonna be mounted on the living room wall

mini21.jpgmini22.jpgmini23.jpgmini24.jpg

Another Ahab

Brings to mind the Quaker Guns of Ol' Joe Johnston at Centreville (only smaller scale, and a WHOLE lot fancier):

The Confederate States Army frequently used them to compensate for a shortage of artillery. They were painted black at the muzzle, and positioned behind fortifications to delay Union assaults on those positions. On occasion, real gun carriages were used to complete the deception.[SUP][2][/SUP]

Perhaps the most famous use of Quaker Guns was by Confederate General
Joseph E. Johnston who placed Quaker Guns in his field works around Centreville, Virginia in March 1862, to indicate that the works were still occupied while, in fact, the Confederates were withdrawing to the Rappahannock River.

Last edited:

Lordragnar

Heres a couple more, just for the road , thanks again for the kind words guys. Ill maybe scoot over to the rpf forum or something, just nice to be among fellow military vehicle enthusiasts, building model tanks and vehicles is how my replica and model building started. 1/35th scale is were my home is, but I just had to show this off some place, and when I found the other minigun thread I thought it was appropriate. Once again I wasn't trying to break any forum rules and I apologize for the confusion.

mini26.jpgmini25.jpgmini34.jpgmini33.jpgmini40.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are "going" to build a mount for it, it makes it MV related and everything is fine. No need to leave. ;-)

You have done great job. Keep it up.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Legally speaking, nothing here is a firearm, gun, or anything the ATF would deem such. I see no problem with it being here at all.

Lordragnar

Thanks guys, and thanks Warthog, I was starting to feel a little unwelcome here but yall have done a great job of helping out. The basic gun is a true to form M134 replica, and I have a 1/6 scale version that basically can be switched between vehicle mounted and hand held. The pintle vehicle mount would fit onto the hardpoint attachements and run back to a dual pistol grip, much like the door mount version on Pave hawks or more recent versions on convey lead up armored Humvees. And yes since this is absolutely not a real mini-gun, its all plastic and a bit of metal, it is totally legal, plus Im in S.C. where we have some fantastic freedom and abilities to legally do quite a lot. Im a criminal justice major and want to be a cop, so Im not stupid enough to throw that away by doing anything illegal.

If its ok with everyone and the forum moderator Id love to keep showing you guys some updates and because I built the handle assembly to come off the gun just like the real thing, I can make my vehicle mount to fit this replica on this thread as well?

PaFarmer

That is neat. It would be great as a dummy gun on an MV. I have not seen anything I like in resin or the price on metal replicas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks