• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 Starts Hard When Cold

Stalzer83

Any ideas of why my 1954 M-37 starts hard cold. I just recently rebuild the carb and when the thing is running it run nice. Since i have rebuild the carb and adjusted the points to .020 it seems to me that it dont want to start when its cold. This thing is sitting in my headed shop at 60 degrees and dont want to start. The only way i can get it to start is hold the foot feet to the floor no choke and it will start and act flooded after it starts and cleans out it starts right up and runs nice. has anyone experinced anything like this after a carb rebuild or even messing with the points.

Thanks Andy

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thinking about it... What about a spare coil? Do you have one or could you get your hands on a new one? Doesn't even have to fit in the holder well. Just to see if maybe yours is weak?

Quick search looks like a Ford or a Chevy coil can be had for about $25/$35 and shipping.

Stalzer83

Thinking about it... What about a spare coil? Do you have one or could you get your hands on a new one? Doesn't even have to fit in the holder well. Just to see if maybe yours is weak?

Quick search looks like a Ford or a Chevy coil can be had for about $25/$35 and shipping.
I dont have a spare 24 volt coil.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I dont have a spare 24 volt coil.
Yeah. Duh. I forgot about that part.

Found a discussion thread about that.

John Mc

If you are going to spend the money for a coil, might as well get one that fits so you have a spare ready to go in case you ever need it. If you have the stock 24V system with the waterproof distributor, Debella Jeep sells one that will fit for $55. It's a step up from the chome ones that are on the market: https://www.debellajeepparts.com/M37catalog2.htm

Stalzer83

Can anybody tell me what the Ohm readings should be on a 24 Volt water proof ignition coil for a m37. I have weak spark and I have a new set of point and condenser but want to make sure the coil is not bad

John Mc

Can anybody tell me what the Ohm readings should be on a 24 Volt water proof ignition coil for a m37. I have weak spark and I have a new set of point and condenser but want to make sure the coil is not bad
I read a discussion comparing NOS coils and the Chinese chrome ones. I showed 6 ohms as typical for the primary on the NOS coils. On the chrome chinese coils, and the newer black aftermarket coils from Debella Jeep, the primary is closer to 12 ohms.

Im running one of the Debella coils on my M37 with a 251 engine and Pertronix ignition. I've been satisfied so far, but I only have about 1500 miles on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks