• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-543 vs H-1000

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the teeth are fiber material, that is a safety feature that is intended to shear off if the pump locks. Looks like yours has been wearing over time. Might be time to get into a newer hoe (says the guy still running a 1988 Case 688 trackhoe).

poppop

Isn't that a rockwell clutch?? I think my old Link-belt had one like that. A lot of power units used them also. A clutch rebuilder should be able to fix it. When I bought the link-belt the clutch was bad and I had it repaired before I could move the machine.

rizzo

If the teeth are fiber material, that is a safety feature that is intended to shear off if the pump locks. Looks like yours has been wearing over time. Might be time to get into a newer hoe (says the guy still running a 1988 Case 688 trackhoe).
I only use the hoe @ 6-12 times a year. should be good for what I need. I will check to see if it is a fiber gear. A fiber gear would fail with age right?

Isn't that a rockwell clutch?? I think my old Link-belt had one like that. A lot of power units used them also. A clutch rebuilder should be able to fix it. When I bought the link-belt the clutch was bad and I had it repaired before I could move the machine.

the gearbox is a rockwell. I'll know more when we get it off. I wonder if the gears wore over time or one of the pumps locked up. I am going to see if it will spin by hand.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to work at a company (Gatke Corp., Warsaw, IN) that made clutch frictions, or plates like that. I machined the faces of the friction material. The same kind is used in automatic presses and other industrial equipment. Frictions for oil well rigs of similar design were about 36" in diameter and 1" thick. It looks like an over-center engagement clutch. The friction material is a round, thick piece with a hole in the center and has the teeth molded on the periphery of it. It is trapped between the two steel discs to engage, driving through the teeth in the flywheel. I would say it just wore the teeth out to the point they finally failed. Someone may have had it apart and damaged the teeth putting it back together.
I do not know for sure, but I would think they are available.

Regards Marti

rizzo

it looks like a fiber gear. I should have the clutch pulled off tomorrow and then I will know more. I cant see the other side of the clutch. I wonder if I can take it apart and put a new gear in.

rizzo

here is a pic of the clutch a par. its a "twin disc"

here is the new disc. when comparing with the old disc I can see that half the teeth were wore off. Probably the reason they broke.

I am waiting for the bearings that go in the gear box, then I can put it all back together and into the hoe.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Very cool...Another great use for the wrecker! Heavy equipment can't always be easily transported back to the shop making a wrecker a necessity!! Thanks for posting the pics...hopefully the parts weren't mega expensive. These old machines need a good rebuild every 40-50yrs... ;)

I have to tear down my little JD crawler loader final drive section to rebuild the steering clutches, undercarraige etc. and the parts add up quickly $$$... I was lucky that when my steering finally gave out, my crawler was in a good position and not in the way of anything....and it happened at home...

rizzo

Hi,

Very cool...Another great use for the wrecker! Heavy equipment can't always be easily transported back to the shop making a wrecker a necessity!! Thanks for posting the pics...hopefully the parts weren't mega expensive. These old machines need a good rebuild every 40-50yrs... ;)

I have to tear down my little JD crawler loader final drive section to rebuild the steering clutches, undercarraige etc. and the parts add up quickly $$$... I was lucky that when my steering finally gave out, my crawler was in a good position and not in the way of anything....and it happened at home...
I was lucky this broke in the same town I work in and not at my property that is 1/2 hour from my house away from town. Now I can stop and check things and work on it after work without having to make that special trip.

The clutch and gear box were apart before. bearings cost almost 500 just for the gearbox. I'll have about 700 into parts before I'm done. :( but with rebuilt gearbox and clutch, new belts and hoses. I will be good on that end for a long time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats. Feel like fixing the worn bellville washers in the hyd pump in my 688 Case trackhoe that leave me without swing at the worst possible times?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks