• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-Series Wiring Harness Connector Help Needed

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the process of building a wiring harness for a vehicle I'm restoring and I'm having some difficulties. I have new mil-spec 14AWG (as it calls for in the manual), but I'm having problems finding some of the cannon (circular) male and female plugs I'm looking for along with the male and female pins for them. I have found some of the items I need by buying NOS wiring harnesses on ebay (when cheap) that have some of the items I need. I've ordered a few dozen male and female packard connectors from Erik's.

I'm having difficulty figuring out what tools I need to push in / extract the male and female connectors in the cannon plugs. Not sure what size (the wire is 14awg) and model to use.

I'm also having difficulty finding the following connectors...

1. Plug Assembly 7976648
2. Other sized male and female cannon plug assemblies for 1,3,8 and 12 pin connectors.

Is there a good place to find these or would it be better to take the old one, have it stripped down and re-zinc plated?

jbayer

I am in the process of building a wiring harness for a vehicle I'm restoring and I'm having some difficulties. I have new mil-spec 14AWG (as it calls for in the manual), but I'm having problems finding some of the cannon (circular) male and female plugs I'm looking for along with the male and female pins for them. I have found some of the items I need by buying NOS wiring harnesses on ebay (when cheap) that have some of the items I need. I've ordered a few dozen male and female packard connectors from Erik's.

I'm having difficulty figuring out what tools I need to push in / extract the male and female connectors in the cannon plugs. Not sure what size (the wire is 14awg) and model to use.

I'm also having difficulty finding the following connectors...

1. Plug Assembly 7976648
2. Other sized male and female cannon plug assemblies for 1,3,8 and 12 pin connectors.

Is there a good place to find these or would it be better to take the old one, have it stripped down and re-zinc plated?
NSN's would be more helpful.

The "1. Plug Assembly 7976648" comes up as a "CAP ASSY" with a lanyard for a utility outlet.

There are numerous different styles/types of cannon plugs with 1,3,8, and 12 pin connectors.

Again NSN's would be more helpful.

If you have a MIL # that would help too.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a local electronics store (NOT the big-box type, but a good local one with knowledgeable employees), they should stock the tools you need and hopefully pass along some expertise as well. Sometimes you get lucky and find an employee who has past military experience with rebuilding/repairing electronics and can be helpful.

ETA: I did see that you list Atlanta as your residence; that's why I posted this. I thought that with such a large metropolis as well as a large population of veterans around you, you stand a good chance of finding what I listed above.

pjwest03

The pin tool(s) required depend upon the series/pin sizes involved. They are generally under M81969, anywhere from $0.50 - $10.00

Most cannon plugs can be ordered from Mouser. They can be found from the MIL # and usually can be inferred by starting with the NSN.

papakb

Jason, I have a full set of extraction and insertion tools that I can lend you to finish your job. Send me a PM if interested.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Jason,

I am currently building a couple of electronic devices with m-series connectors and it is incredibly difficult.

There are so many styles, sizes and pin arrangements, it's almost impossible to find exactly the one you need.

You'll find that your basically going to have to become an expert on these connectors.

You need to start here: http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/faq/knowconnectors.pdf

Then go here: http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/12-020.pdf

If you're lucky, you'll figure out what you need and you can find the part # and search for it here: https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/C...ectors/Circular-MIL-Spec-Connector/_/N-9ulxv/

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been able to find some NOS connectors by buying them off ebay for older vehicle wiring harnesses. The ones I don't think that I'll be able to find, they are in decent condition, just the yellow zinc has turned grey etc. I figure those I'll just pull of, strip down the connector (remove wires and rubber parts) and have them re-yellow zinc plated locally. I'm in the process of pulling the wiring harness off now as it is complete, just most of the hull harness is baked and cracked and most wires are exposed but there is enough of it left to know where the tape starts and stops etc. The big cables such as the generator to regulator I can clean up the wires and rewrap with the rest of the wires from the engine wire harness. The starter relay and solenoid cables are in good shape, just need to clean and treat them with either 303 protectant or brake fluid. They are a little stiff but not cracking.

Here are a few pictures of the what I'm having to build.

Starter Cable Section 1 - Good condition, needs to be cleaned up and preserved, will remove the metal connector and have them re-yellow zinc plated. Same for section #2 below.
20180213_180959.jpg

Starter Cable Section 2

20180213_180949.jpg

Accessory Outlet Power Plug
20180213_181031.jpg
Instrument Panel Harness
20180213_181110.jpg

Need 4 of the "G" marked item, the little rubber shock mounts for the regulator
20180213_181143.jpg

Hull Harness
20180213_181154.jpg

Engine Harness
20180213_181210.jpg

Hey Jason,

I am currently building a couple of electronic devices with m-series connectors and it is incredibly difficult.

There are so many styles, sizes and pin arrangements, it's almost impossible to find exactly the one you need.

You'll find that your basically going to have to become an expert on these connectors.

You need to start here: http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/faq/knowconnectors.pdf

Then go here: http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/catalogs/12-020.pdf

If you're lucky, you'll figure out what you need and you can find the part # and search for it here: https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/C...ectors/Circular-MIL-Spec-Connector/_/N-9ulxv/

Crazyguyla

There was a thread way back in the day that answered the question of where to find 'canon plugs". If I remember correctly, marine electrical suppliers should have or be able to order all the plugs, rubbers, and shells.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have a lot of wires and wire repair kits. Ill see if I can find any of that stuff.

If Gimp has the repair kit, most of the single rubber male/female plugs are in it, along with removal tools, crimping tool and clips. One of the army's great weaknesses is just this. Plug repair.

I can can not see what kind of vehicle it is, but the TM looked older. If the vehicle is real old, finding the big plugs becomes very difficult.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks