• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 dragged home today...

FrankenCub

...pushing the F-350 tow vehicle around the whole way lol.
With much debate I decided my back wouldn't handle a 20+ hour round trip, not to mention the possibility of a problem on the way back that I wouldn't be able to afford to tow.
I took the trip to Grand Gorge today to meet with Mike and check out the M1008. Super nice guy with some really cool military goodies, from pins to tracked vehicles. Even a Russian version of a '40s Jeep with 270 original kilometers on it. Amazing.
Spent quite a bit of time looking over the truck and decided to bring it home. Needs a few pieces of body panels repaired and not going to worry about some dents, adds character. It wouldn't start for him one day so he quit driving it this year, but from the condition of everything under the hood I don't think I'll have much trouble resolving that. Need to get a couple batteries this week then start troubleshooting. It was Military Police vehicle from the Marines, the lettering is still kinda visible on the doors, but fading. Miserable weather here so I didn't get many pictures, one Mike sent to me and I get some images of the lettering so I can research where it was from. It's a little rough, but so am I. I think it was an honest price and will work out well for me.
Until I get some good pictures, these will have to do.

grand-gorge.jpg
34ED029.jpg

Inside doors...
NFDAXH.jpg

Front bumper...
NFG83.jpg

Fading Glory
MilitaryPolice.jpg

Tailgate
258039.jpg

20170103_230816.jpg

FrankenCub

Thanks, Tinstar.
Something else that kinda made me happy, I've noticed in reading other threads that the rifle mounts were many times missing. They are both still installed in this truck, which is great. I hunt coyotes a lot so a Winchester 12 will sit at one side while my AR will sit in the other.
I usually enjoy winter but I'm pretty anxious for spring to get here so I can get some body work done to it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes
The rifle racks are very handy.
I use mine everyday.
Passenger mount holds AK (cheap ammo)
Drivers holds Stainless Marlin Model 60
Usually Rem 20ga youth In the seat.

I was laying my M1A on the dash, but quickly realized that it's way too heavy for that.

Glad yours were still there.

The way it was parked looked like the guy was never going to touch it again. Just let it rot.

Always a a good day when a cucv gets saved.
There are fewer of them every single day.

FrankenCub

Thanks guys,yes it's very complete. Only thing missing is one of the rear shackles. Under the hood is a bit dirty, lots of tree debris thats been blown in and usual leak residue but unmolested.
I picked up 2 Exide 925cca batteries today and started checking everything. I can hear the glow plug relay doing it's thing cycling on and off, wait light works correctly. Checked glow plugs for opens and they all show resistance. Checked for voltage coming out of the glow plug relay, getting a little over 12v, checked a couple wires going to glow plugs and getting voltage there. Unplugged the wire to the fuel shut off and it clicks when I touch the plug to it so I assume it's working.
While messing around there I happen to see a few drips of fuel from the feed line to the IP so I replaced that.
Still haven't got it to fire yet but I gave up for tonight because the wind has picked up terribly. I can handle the cold to a certain point but this wind we're getting is too much. I'll return to trouble shooting tomorrow and will look through the TM some more.

dougco1

How did Mike treat your wallet. I had one on the hook up hear that wasn't running and he wanted a running price "4k". The guy said its the starter and he has a new one for it but never bothered to install it. I told him I wouldn't buy a truck unless I heard it run; he wouldn't budge.

FrankenCub

I think it was fair. I went up knowing it wasn't going to start. I based my offer on what I've seen of regular commercial civilian trucks conditions around here and this trucks condition. I gave myself wiggle room that I'd feel comfortable with if it ends up needing an IP or other issues. For $2500 I can't buy a civi pickup as solid as this one is, even it needing outer rockers and corners.

dougco1

Great price if it turns out to be minor repairs. The guy I was trying to deal with was a owner to an auto repair shop and it made me leery when he said he would not install the starter unless I committed to buying the truck. I thought to myself, what is he trying to hide? Go figure. I guess ill have to stomp down there again (Grand Gorge) and kick a few tires.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not install the starter unless you committed to buy?!?!

That makes absolutely no sense.
Starters easy, especially with a lift.

Yea, That would make me think twice also.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great price if it turns out to be minor repairs. The guy I was trying to deal with was a owner to an auto repair shop and it made me leery when he said he would not install the starter unless I committed to buying the truck. I thought to myself, what is he trying to hide? Go figure. I guess ill have to stomp down there again (Grand Gorge) and kick a few tires.
Was he trying to sell or did you start inquiring about it? If you really want it "if"... all it needs is a starter. Tell him you'll buy it if the only thing thats wrong with it is the starter, have him get the starter on, then check it out. Don't put any money down and make sure you see a good title before you bother though!

FrankenCub

Mike seems to be a pretty good guy, he has 2 more M1008's for sale. One for $4500 and the other $6 or $7, I don't remember. He's got a HMMWV there too that I'd love to have but they bring too much money for this poor man, and after a conversation with the NY DMV tech office they're going to be trying to get them all off the streets here. Was kinda funny though, he pulled my truck out to the tow rig in 2 wheel and when he tried to pull it up on the trailer he couldn't figure out how to put it in 4x4 lol. He asked me, you know how to get it in 4x4??? Apparently he's never used it much and wasn't pulling hard enough on the shifter, it went right in for me. Personally, I like the guy. He really loves everything military and is bound and determined to have a military museum. Wants the equipment to be properly respected.

Been working on it more today when I had time, he told me he thought it had an electric problem stopping it from starting but I've found nothing electrical wrong with it. I'm starting to think he replaced the fuel filter and never got it bled out. The filter looks new to me and there was no fuel coming out of the injector lines. Started out checking for fuel pressure after the filter, 5 pounds so that was good. Then going one line at a time cracking them open and turning it over I'm starting to get fuel. Ran out of light so will go back at it tomorrow and get the rest of the lines. I think it's going to work out fine, the bleeding is looking promising and the other little issues, really aren't a problem.

Two questions for everyone. Will a circulatory heater that goes on the heater hose work to heat the block? These trucks having a heater hose going to the radiator is making me thing it won't work so well. I have a freebie new one from NAPA.
Is there any specific places I can look up the markings on this truck to find more of it's history?

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Is there any specific places I can look up the markings on this truck to find more of it's history?
There is a usually a VIN info thread where you can post your information and possibly find the last place your truck was at. There's one every year and since it's a new year there isn't a thread at this time. Last years thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149710-2016-VIN-INFO-Thread-Please-Read
The problem you might find with your truck is that posting there only works if your truck was US Army. The registration number on the dataplate of your truck leads me to believe it isn't Army, and possibly USMC. The registration number on your door doesn't match the plate so that has likely been changed. Does your truck have a pioneer tool rack behind the seat in the cab or holes where there was one? That's pretty typical for a USMC truck.

Last edited:

FrankenCub

There is a usually a VIN info thread where you can post your information and possibly find the last place your truck was at. There's one every year and since it's a new year there isn't a thread at this time. Last years thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149710-2016-VIN-INFO-Thread-Please-Read
The problem you might find with your truck is that posting there only works if your truck was US Army. The registration number on the dataplate of your truck leads me to believe it isn't Army, and possibly USMC. The registration number on your door doesn't match the plate so that has likely been changed. Does your truck have a pioneer tool rack behind the seat in the cab or holes where there was one? That's pretty typical for a USMC truck.
I seen that thread yesterday when searching, I didn't figure I'd post there when something was mentioned about being Army info. I don't recall seeing any holes behind the seat but I will look tomorrow.
This is on the tailgate however. I didn't post it before because I don't think it's painted but I think I seen some other reference last night I think, that mentioned sometimes other lettering was used.

USMC.jpg

dependable

Will a circulatory heater that goes on the heater hose work to heat the block? These trucks having a heater hose going to the radiator is making me thing it won't work so well. I have a freebie new one from NAPA.
Above is picture of one installed in one of my 1008s. It is fed from heater core and goes into inlet on crossover. It works very well.

Attachments

FrankenCub

I didn't get a chance to work on it today. Ended up have to drive my stepson's car to Binghamton and meet my wife down there for an appointment and didn't get home till 5pm. Supposed to only be 15° tomorrow so I doubt I'll feel the urge to freeze my tail of bleeding more lol. I should probably double check to make sure the filter assembly isn't leaking air in or this will be all for nothing. Crossing my fingers aair is the problem and not a bad IP.

Above is picture of one installed in one of my 1008s. It is fed from heater core and goes into inlet on crossover. It works very well.
Thanks, maybe I'll install it then Been so **** cold here I could use the help trying to get the injection system bled out. Even one of the gasser cars spun over a bit slow this morning.

FrankenCub

Working at it again today while I could stand the cold, getting some smoke, she wants to fire. Called it quits when the starter wouldn't stop....Doghead relay here I come lol.
Made that change and no power in the cab. I think it was the ignition switch on the column that crapped out, it was feeling kinda stiff and I was thinking it would be a matter of time before it needed to be replaced. Well I guess I should have checked things out closer before I went to town for the new relay. Oh well, I feel better with the better relay anyhow. Will stop at NAPA on Monday to get a new switch. Supposed to be -15 tonight into tomorrow so I have no plans on being outside working on the truck. It'll have to deal with the cold on it's own lol.

cucvrus

Did anyone suggest removing the glow plugs to get the motor spinning freely during your attempts to bleed the fuel system? It spins 20 times faster and purges the air in less time and strain on the starter and batteries. It is 20 minutes more work. But so is changing a burnt out the starter and wiring harness. Just a suggestion. Now back to my regularly scheduled programs. Firewood unlimited.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks