• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 HARD CRANKING

marbaja252

I'm not new to the CUCV have M1009 and M1008 + M35a3. The 1008 was sitting several years inside, very nice truck no rust Purchased this fall and runs and drives great.

Now that the weather has gotten colder if you leave it outside very long you will have a hard time getting it started. I just replaced batterys with 775 CCA AGM's $375 ouch. It does not start any better on these than the old ones, starter does only clicks and does not always engage cold or hot. Once warmed up starts fine, most of the time.

It acts like the starter is taking so much juice and after several cranking cycles your done and have to but the charger back on it. It only likes the be in the Garage it seams. 45-50 degrees.

Any thing I can check? Have serviced it from top to bottom this fall all fluids filters, new lift pump. I want to blame the starter itself and upgrade to a gear reduction style. It still have the old 27MT on it.

Thank you all

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carefully touch each electrical connection between the batteries and starter after prolonged cranking, the one that burns your finger is causing the slow cranking. If none are found your starter may be dying.

marbaja252

Carefully touch each electrical connection between the batteries and starter after prolonged cranking, the one that burns your finger is causing the slow cranking. If none are found your starter may be dying.
Bad cable could have a loose crimp, I still think stater, but start small. thank you

cucvrus

ACDELCO 1111 AUTOMOTIVE BCI GROUP 31 POST BATTERY
AcDelco 1111 Automotive BCI Group 31 Post Battery - GetMyBattery.com

Find out how AGM batteries are better!

Type: LEAD-ACID AUTOMOTIVE
Vendor: ACDelco
Description:
Instore Pickup Only
Group Size: 31, 750 CCA, Volts:12, (L)13x(W)6.7x(H)9.5, Warranty: 18 months Free

This is the batteries that the truck left the factory with. So if your batteries are good and charged that would leave the starter. I agree. Good Luck. Wellman glow plugs are not the most reliable has been my experience. I use A C Delco 13G and have been for 25 years in my CUCV's. Good Luck.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds kinda like a rusted ground strap combined with burnt glow plugs. If it were mine, I would start by removing the ground strap, sanding the connecting surfaces, and reconnecting with a new bolt/nut and dielectric grease. I would then remove the glow plug resistor and power the plugs with 12 volts constant (plenty of advice on here about how and why). I would then replace all glow plugs with AC DELCO 60G. Make sure your glow plug card is good, and this should take care of the issue. In very cold temperatures, cycle the glow plugs twice by switching the ignition key off and back on a second time. If your fuel system has no leaks, she will fire. Sometimes the sock on the fuel pickup (inside the tank) gets gummed up with 35 years of crap and causes the cold fuel to require additional suction to get a decent flow to the injectors. So any of these things could cause your problems. I would start with the easiest and work my way towards the hardest until it will crank reliable.
Hope this helps.

Russm

Walmart also has 800cca batteries ($120 each) with a 5 year warranty. Switched to these a few years ago, no issues

I agree, check your glow plug system

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks