• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 lift with factory steering

stevenf

Bidding on an M1008 at the moment. If i get it i have plans for 37" surplus tires with 2-4" of lift. I cant seem to find if the factoty steering will work with 4 " of lift or if crossover is necessary? Do i only need a drop pitman arm?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You'll actually want more lift to get into a crossover. The simplest adjustment would be the kingpin spacer. I'm running a kingpin spacer and drop drag link on mine with a 6-8" lift.

goldneagle

I lifted mine 4" to allow for 37" HMMWV tires and rims. Used an adjustable drag link for steering. Front hubs have 2" spacers to push the rims away from the inner wheel wells. Do some searches and you will find threads with a lot of info on how it is done.

stevenf

I lifted mine 4" to allow for 37" HMMWV tires and rims. Used an adjustable drag link for steering. Front hubs have 2" spacers to push the rims away from the inner wheel wells. Do some searches and you will find threads with a lot of info on how it is done.
Exactly what i plan to do but with aftermarket rims and fender trimming.
So your running stock pitman arm?

Skinny

I will tell you with my 4" over stock height that a 2" drop pitman is too much. I can't get my steering wheel centered because I run out of adjustment. It's not too far off but if I could get another half inch shorter in the draglink I'd probably have enough room to center up fine. If I had to do it again I'd probably use a drop draglink or maybe a 1" steering block. This is if you want to keep the stock push/pull. Granted mine rarely goes offroad. If you actually plan on wheeling it and want it to actually work...go straight to crossover and don't look back. I would consider it mandatory.

My next step will be some type of overdrive (probably NV4500) with crossover combined with pushing the axle an inch forward.

goldneagle

Exactly what i plan to do but with aftermarket rims and fender trimming.
So your running stock pitman arm?
Yes stock pitman arm. If you are going with aftermarket rims you may not need the spacers. The rear can handle 37" tires without any lift. I ran mine with 37" in the rear only for 6 months without any issues. Just can't use the 4 wheel drive without matching height tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks