• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Ujoint at wheel, front axle

ehuppert

Continuing on my down to the frame saga and slowly painting and reassembling! Put the left knuckle and kingpin components in and realized i left the upper kingpin cover/steering arm at work! Oh well, grab the axle and start to slide it in and realize the joint is partially seized. Argh, only several years old and had been greased!

Look up through local supplier and they have a Precision 374 for $57, WTH? Replaced both fronts sevral years ago and don't recall them being so pricey! Using there site i look up cross ref to put in a Spicer and they list like five different numbers. going to order on-line, so need to order the correct one the first time!

Anyone easily confirm a good number for grease-able spicer joint

Eric

Edit: Looks like spl55-4x is a winner..... yeah, nay?

Last edited:

Matt5

Banned
....... bought a cheap POS that is bad already... complains that maybe the one being sold aint a cheap POS?????

I must be missing something here...

you are shocked that buying the cheapest POS resulted in it going bad after "several years" even with grease...

a 10 second google of "Precision 374" turns up a moog from rock auto for $30... I paid like $60 for my spicer 55-4x made in usa u joints but sounds out of your price target.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spicers non-greaseable ujoints are excellent also.
That’s what I use and have had zero issues.
They’ve been absolutely flawless.

If in dought, call Spicer and they can tell you which one you need.

ehuppert

Spicer hardened non greasable installed correctly will out last the greasable type!!

Matt,

My retirement job is managing an automotive restoration shop. Very familiar what cheap parts are and the failure rate that is now acceptable in the automotive parts industry. I don't use junk parts on customers vehicles as they quickly forget how much money you saved them when the parts fail! Then you get to replace it under warranty and get paid close to nothing by the source to fix it again! It's a lose lose situation.

I was simply asking what joint to use.... I did and am able to research parts and figure out where to buy quality parts as cheap as possible!!!! And, if you look at my thread on down to the frame she goes you'll see I'm not cheaping out on parts or doing a half ass restoration!

I don't remember what i used previously for ujoints when replaced, i was just surprised how much joints were!

This site is, and has been a great resource with a vast wealth of knowledge....

cucvrus

I used NAPA UJ374 in the CUCV plow trucks. They are SKF joints. Made in China but I did get a Doghead approval rating on them. So I must have done something right. They hold up well and are greaseable. I do like the NON greaseable ones as well. I know you will make the right choice. Keep up the good work and maintain a positive spirit. Happy New Year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks