• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 as a daily driver

LtDan

I have owned 4 6.2 powered trucks over the years. A m1009, air force crew cab c20, civi suburban, and a k5 blazer. The 09 was the only one that did not have a 4 speed auto, but it was not my daily driver. With this said, how is the m1009 to drive on a daily basis? I would imagine that highway speed must feel like the engine is coming out of the truck without the overdrive gear to go into. What are you guys doing to insulate for engine noise and weather? If I wanted a fluffy truck I would not buy a cucv, but I would like to have it more user freindly, as It will be my daily driver.

Thank you
Bill

ida34

Mine drives great and I drive it as a daily driver. I have it on the freeway once in a while and it can keep up with 70 with little problems or extra noise. I will be making a 200 mile trip with it tommarow. I have driven it to shows and it has been great. When taking the family I take my excursion.

Armada

The 1009 makes a great daily driver. They have 3:08 axle gears so running at 65, 70, 75 is not a problem, they'll do it all day long. They are also pretty good on the fuel too. I recently checked mine on a trip and got 20.4 mpg driving between 65 and 70.
The 1008's have 4:56 gears and when running at 60, the engine's wound pretty tight. I forget the rpms, 3500 maybe. They'll turn those kind of rpm's at length without a problem, but it sounds scary if you're not used to it.
For quieting one down, check out Classic Industries or LMC Truck. They sell different kinds of sound deadening materials/products. I would add insulation to the floor and maybe under the hood. They're really not that loud though.......... compared to a duece. :)

ojsdna744

I just bought one two weeks ago and haven't gotten out of it since! It does wind up on the freeway without any sort of overdrive, but the second or third time I was used to the noise of it being wound up! I love driving the old girl around so much, I haven't driven anything else and I own newer/quieter vehicles! It seems to be getting about 20mpg also although I think my speedo is off a bit and is skewing the numbers a bit. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all, jump in! That's what the cool kids are doing! :lol:

2deuce

RE: cool...

I try to drive mine between 60 and 65. When I go over 65 fuel consumption goes up and I want to keep the MPG over 20.

Hasdrubal

Bought my M1009 2 and a half years ago,was a little rough, so restored it.Had a water leak in the back that left almost the whole floor inside with surface rust.So,3 days of intensive sand blasting,primed it then sprayed rhino guard tinted green on the entire floor and tailgate.Then applied a neoprene type insulation that has an adhesive side with a carpet type material on outside.Did a great job of quieting things down in the cab as well if you still have a leak this stuff just dries out withought smelling or going moldy.Also sourced an intake muffler from a civilian chev diesel which cuts down engine noise pretty good.Still, helps to have a good stereo ...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My M1009 was my only mode of transportation for 10 years. They are a fantastic daily-driver and interstate cruiser. Mine routinely made trips from WV to TN where I was in school at the time and they averaged around 600 miles each way. Right around 20MPG usually, but that was when I had 35" tires and 3.73 gears :D

LtDan

Thank you all for your replies.
So it seems that everyone agrees that the 09 gets 20+mpg with combined driving.
What does everyone who lives in snow areas do to keep them running well during the winter months? Engine block heaters and anti gel additives as any other diesel?

Bill

SuperchargedRS

Just drove mine almost 500mi home, at 75+ and it ran just fine, wish it has a 700r4 or maybe even a 4l80e would be cool, but I dont think it really needed enough to swap one in.

n1vbn

Buy your fuel from a high volume station that sells to a lot of trucks. never had a gelling problem in 20+ years of driving Diesels. Block heater number below. Bought mine here for $20.

My block heater is on a switch so when I wake up I turn it on with the coffee...fires up much easier than dead cold.

Derry Auto Parts
603-432-3314
13 South Ave
Derry NH 03038

Part number 10612 Kats 600 watts freeze plug block heater

Jim

LtDan said:
Thank you all for your replies.
So it seems that everyone agrees that the 09 gets 20+mpg with combined driving.
What does everyone who lives in snow areas do to keep them running well during the winter months? Engine block heaters and anti gel additives as any other diesel?

Bill

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have my first M1009 by Nov 17th. I'm flying out to GA to get it and drive it, an M101 trailer, a spare 6.2L engine in a crate and a few spare parts from Gasser back to Denver.

I will be replacing tires and if at all possible, I'm adding cruise control. Should make a 1600 mile trip a little easier. That and a portable AM/FM radio so I don't start talking to myself. I'm also going to change the oil from whatever is in it to Royal Purple and a change of filters (oil & air). I might even change out the tranny fluid and the axle fluid as well with RP. It not only makes a difference in MPG, but it also 'quiets down' noisy mechanicals.

After I get back, I am going to pull the old floor mat, then clean the floor and install FATMAT. At least one layer. Then a layer of jute, then a new rubber floor, as the one in my '85 looks original. Plus a fairly large sheet of FATMAT under the hood as well the normal insulation from LMC. Yes, I'm a belt AND suspenders man.

http://www.fatmat.com/

I've used to own Suburbans and had an 86 with the 6.2L and a Banks turbo. Great truck. Right up until the engine ate the rear main seal, blew all the engine oil all over the road in a matter of seconds and left me stranded. Back in 1996 a rebuilt 6.2L from GM was about $6k. So I donated the truck to a charity and bought a Dodge one ton 4x4 crewcab shortbox. Which is another LONG story.

ONTOS66

Always lots of great ideas on ss! So far I have replaced the radiator and hoses, windshield wiper motor, and added a block heater. I became a believer in block heaters when I worked for an ambulance company - diesel engines on call in all weather.
While I enjoy driving my M1009, it does have the acoustics of a metal bucket. Thanks for the URL for fatmat, the hood liner sounds like a good idea. I also have a rubber mat, etc. in mind from anther supplier. I'm off next Friday, Semper Fi to all the past, present and future Marines! I'm going to take the M1009 out for a longer spin than my normal work and back.
Preston

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Seriously as a lieutenant in a medium truck company I used to chase M915 convoys in many parts of the county doing 85 in an almost new M1009. It was such a great change from chasing them in am M151 that I did not mind each time my driver took off and spilled my coffee I has set on the dash to fasten my seat belt. The ran great and we never had a problem with them even running them 10-12 hours a day on the highways. One convoy from Devils Lake North Dakota I got off to a late start and chased the convoy all the way to Minneapolis and never got below 80 all the way I only caught them because they ran into traffic. The old M915 with the 400 cummins and Cat transmission would easily top 100MPH on a strait a way

wired1000

Then applied a neoprene type insulation that has an adhesive side with a carpet type material on outside.Did a great job of quieting things down in the cab as well if you still have a leak this stuff just dries out withought smelling or going moldy
Hasdrubal: Link to this insulation? My job has me on the road a lot now, and spending hours on the highway in my M1009 has me wishing it was just a *bit* quieter.... I've got a rhino-lined floor and I wrapped the wheel wells in QuickRoof which helped a ton. At least, no more heart attacks whenever a rock gets stuck in the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks